Combining Forecasts: Operational Adjustments to Theoretically Optimal Rules
AbstractClemen and Winkler (1985) have described the theoretical effectiveness of Winkler's (1981) formula for optimally combining forecasts. The optimality of Winkler's formula is, however, contingent on actually knowing the forecasters' statistical properties, i.e., the variances and covariances of their forecasts. In realistic applications, of course, these properties have to be estimated, usually from a set of prior forecasts. In this case we show how the "operationally optimal" combining strategy differs from Winkler's "theoretically optimal" formula. Specifically, we provide figures indicating the operationally optimal strategy for combining two forecasts. We then propose a heuristic to choose the best set of parameter estimates in combining any number of forecasters and demonstrate its effectiveness via simulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 36 (1990)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
combined forecasts; Akaike's Information Criterion;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Morwitz, Vicki G. & Kumar, V., 2000. "Sales forecasts for existing consumer products and services: Do purchase intentions contribute to accuracy?," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 383-397.
- Blattenberger, Gail & Fowles, Richard, 1995. "Road closure to mitigate avalanche danger: a case study for Little Cottonwood Canyon," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 159-174, March.
- Kamstra, Mark & Kennedy, Peter, 1998.
"Combining qualitative forecasts using logit,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 83-93, March.
- de Menezes, Lilian M. & W. Bunn, Derek & Taylor, James W., 2000. "Review of guidelines for the use of combined forecasts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 120(1), pages 190-204, January.
- Lessmann, Stefan & Sung, Ming-Chien & Johnson, Johnnie E.V. & Ma, Tiejun, 2012. "A new methodology for generating and combining statistical forecasting models to enhance competitive event prediction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(1), pages 163-174.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.