Intergenerational Social Mobility in Latin America: A review of existing evidence
AbstractThis article reviews evidence on intergenerational social mobility in Latin America. Results indicate that mobility is low in the region, even when compared with the United States and United Kingdom, which rank low on social mobility. The evidence also suggests high levels of immobility at the income distribution’s lower and upper tails. While intergenerational education mobility have improved in recent decades, which may increase income mobility for younger cohorts, overall the region still presents lower intergenerational social mobility. Previous studies suggest that these results might be associated to social exclusion, low access to higher education, and labor market discrimination.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines in its journal Revista de Analisis Economico.
Volume (Year): 25 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (Diciembre)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- edu - - - - - -
- Jel - Labor and Demographic Economics - - - - -
- cla - - - - - -
- D30 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - General
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- I30 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brunori, Paolo & Ferreira, Francisco H. G. & Peragine, Vito, 2013.
"Inequality of opportunity, income inequality and economic mobility : some international comparisons,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6304, The World Bank.
- Paolo Brunori & Francisco H. G. Ferreira & Vito Peragine, 2013. "Inequality of Opportunity, Income Inequality and Economic Mobility: Some International Comparisons," Working Papers 284, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Brunori, Paolo & Ferreira, Francisco H.G. & Peragine, Vito, 2013. "Inequality of Opportunity, Income Inequality and Economic Mobility: Some International Comparisons," IZA Discussion Papers 7155, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guillermo Cruces & Marcelo Bérgolo & Andriana Conconi & Andrés Ham, 2012. "Are there Etchnic Inequality Traps in Education ? Empirical Evidence for Brazil and Chile," Working Papers PMMA 2012-05, PEP-PMMA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.