A Non-Parametric Examination of Real Estate Mutual Fund Efficiency
AbstractDue to the recent lackluster performance in the stock market and low yields in the bond markets, investors have been looking for alternative investment opportunities. Publicly traded real estate investment trusts (REITs) have been a large beneficiary, receiving considerable flows of funds from investors looking for sustained and competitive yields and lower levels of investment risk. Many investors in the REIT market choose to participate via real estate mutual funds (RMFs), yet to date no research has focused on the efficiency in this arena. In this study, we employ data envelopment analysis (DEA), a non-parametric statistical procedure, to assess the relative performance of RMFs for the years 1997¡V2001. DEA is a procedure that tests whether decision-making units are operating on their efficient frontier, which requires minimum input usage for a given level of output, or vice versa. We find seven RMFs for 1997, three for 1998, three for 1999, four for 2000, and six for 2001 operating on the efficient frontier. Another result that we obtain is that by examining the mean inefficiencies of the input and output values, we determine the main sources of RMF inefficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan in its journal International Journal of Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
real estate; efficiency; REIT; DEA;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Murthi, B. P. S. & Choi, Yoon K. & Desai, Preyas, 1997. "Efficiency of mutual funds and portfolio performance measurement: A non-parametric approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 408-418, April.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Malhotra, D K & McLeod, Robert W, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-90, Summer.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Mohammad Reza TAVAKOLI BAGHDADABAD & Afsaneh NOORI HOUSHYAR, 2014. "Productivity and Efficiency Evaluation of US Mutual Funds," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 64(2), pages 120-143, March.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Philippas, Nikolaos, 2012.
"Efficiency evaluation of Greek equity funds,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 317-333.
- Babalos, Vassilios & Philippas, Nikolaos & Doumpos, Michael & Zompounidis, Constantin, 2011. "Mutual funds performance appraisal using stochastic multicriteria acceptability analysis," MPRA Paper 37953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2010.
"Non-Parametric Frontier Estimates of Mutual Fund Performance Using C- and L-Moments: Some Specification Tests,"
2010/10, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Kerstens, Kristiaan & Mounir, Amine & de Woestyne, Ignace Van, 2011. "Non-parametric frontier estimates of mutual fund performance using C- and L-moments: Some specification tests," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1190-1201, May.
- Tsolas, Ioannis E., 2014. "Precious metal mutual fund performance appraisal using DEA modeling," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 54-60.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.