An Investigation into Traffic Turning Movement at Jibowu
AbstractThis paper aims at understanding the behavioral pattern of traffic at Jibowu intersection with a view of using the results obtained as a model for understudying traffic movement at similar intersections in the Lagos metropolis. Consequently, an evaluation of the sampled intersections was carried out by employing a physical measurement of the layout, traffic volume at each turning point, and evaluating it against the back drop of traffic delays at the intersections. The paper reviews the traffic flow situation within the context of increasing motorization, poor infrastructural facilities and a continuous stream of traffic inflow. It highlights the problems with emphasis on the importance of signalization, land use, intersection design and traffic systems management. The paper concludes that most of the bottlenecks experienced at the intersection are man-induced. Rather than obeying traffic regulations, people act otherwise either out of ignorance or gross indiscipline. Secondly the paper posits that the land use allocation in the area should be reviewed especially with emphasis on discouraging the luxury bus operators from using the area as their base or Main Park. Although the paper did not fully measure the delay at the intersection, it has however set the stage for further investigations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Business Administration in its journal Indus Journal of Management & Social Science (IJMSS).
Volume (Year): 2 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Contact details of provider:
More information through EDIRC
Turning Movement; Junction; Traffic Jam; Survey; Delays; Lagos; Turning Points; Signalization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H53 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Government Expenditures and Welfare Programs
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
- R41 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Transportation: Demand, Supply, and Congestion
- R52 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Land Use and Other Regulations
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wright, Christopher & Jarrett, David & Appa, Gautam & Rados, Jovan & Vukanovic, Smiljan, 1995. "Spatial aspects of traffic circulation: I. A review of alternative systems," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-32, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Faraz Ahmed).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.