Intertemporal Cournot and Walras Equilibria: An Illustration
AbstractIn an intertemporal general equilibrium framework, we compare a Cournot equilibrium to the Walras equilibrium. The Cournot agents trade and invest less than the Walras agents. This generates an inefficiency that does not vanish as the number of Cournot agents tends to infinity. A larger number of strategic Cournot agents implies that the amount of trade (relative to their aggregate consumption) increases (i.e., it moves towards the Walrasian amount), but their investment (relative to the stock) decreases (i.e., it moves away from the Walrasian amount). ""S'il y avait 3, 4, ...n producteurs en concurrence [...] la valeur de p, qui en rÈsulte, diminuerait indÈfiniment par l'accroissement indÈfini du nombre n"," A. A. Cournot (1838, p. 63). Copyright 2002 by the Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Resarch Association
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 43 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tito Cordella & Manjira Datta, 1994. "Intertemporal Cournot and Walras Equilibrium: An Illustration," Working Papers 193, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Manjira Datta & Tito Cordella, . "Intertemporal Cournot and Walras Equilibrium: An Illustration," Working Papers 2132843, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Tito Cordella & Manjira Datta, . "Intertemporal Cournot and Walras Equilibrium: An Illustration," Working Papers 97/13, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Tito Cordella & Manjira Datta, 1995. "Intertemporal Cournot and Walras equilibrium: An illustration," Economics Working Papers 125, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Cordella, T. & Datta, M., 1994. "Intertemporal Cournot and Walras Equilibria: An Illustration," Papers 94-1, Saskatchewan - Department of Economics.
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- C73 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Stochastic and Dynamic Games; Evolutionary Games
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D90 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manjira Datta & Leonard J. Mirman, .
"Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination,"
97/11, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Manjira Datta & Leonard Mirman, . "Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination," Working Papers 2132841, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Manjira Datta, 1996. "Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9608, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Polemarchakis, Herakles M. & Ray, Indrajit, 2006.
"Sunspots, correlation and competition,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 174-184, July.
- Manjira Datta, .
"Externalities and Price Dynamics,"
9710, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Gerhard Sorger, 1996.
"Imperfect competition and capital accumulation: the role of price normalization,"
Journal of Economics,
Springer, vol. 63(3), pages 279-302, October.
- Gerhard SORGER, 1995. "Imperfect Competition and Capital Accumulation: The Role of Price Normalization," Vienna Economics Papers vie9506, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Julien, Ludovic A., 2011.
"Unemployment equilibrium and economic policy in mixed markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1931-1940, July.
- Ludovic A. JULIEN, 2009. "Unemployment equilibrium and economic policy in mixed markets," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009030, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.