Increases in Risk and Linear Payoffs
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the effect of increases in risk on optimal decision variables for the class of linear payoffs. The authors show that, for this class of payoffs, one can extend the class of admissible increases in risk and obtain the desirable comparative statics properties. They propose the definition of a 'relatively weak increase in risk' and apply it to the case of the competitive firm with constant marginal costs, the standard portfolio model, and the coinsurance problem. Copyright 1993 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 34 (1993)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1990. "Increases in Risk and Linear Payoffs," Cahiers de recherche 9019, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Dionne, G. & Eeckhoudt, L., 1990. "Increases In Risk And Linear Payoffs," Cahiers de recherche 9019, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gollier, Christian, 2009.
"Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion,"
TSE Working Papers
09-068, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Christian Gollier, 2011. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1329-1344.
- Gollier, Christian, 2009. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," IDEI Working Papers 357, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2011.
- Choi, Gyemyung & Kim, Iltae & Snow, Arthur, 2000. "Comparative statics predictions for the cross-effects of central dominance changes in risk with quasilinear payoffs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 41-48, January.
- Gollier, Christian, 1993. "Portfolio Dominance, Lower Conditional Expectation And The Monotone Likelihood Ratio Order," Working Papers 014, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996. "Portfolio choice under noisy asset returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 47-51, October.
- Alain Chateauneuf & Ghizlane Lakhnati, 2005.
"Increases in risk and demand for risky asset,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Gollier, Christian & Pierre-Francois KOEHL & Jean-Charles ROCHET, 1993. "Risk-Taking Behaviour With Expected Utility and Limited Liability: Applications to the Regulation of Financial Intermediaries," Working Papers 016, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Suyeol Ryu & Iltae Kim, 2005. "Portfolio Choice for Increases in Risk and Prudence Revisited," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 86(3), pages 293-300, December.
- Christian Gollier & Pierre-François Koehl & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1996. "Risk-Taking Behavior with Limited Liability and Risk Aversion," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-13, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 2002.
"Changes in risk and asset prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 747-760, May.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER, 1994. "Demand for Risky Assets and Stochastic Dominance: A Note," Working Papers 007, Risk and Insurance Archive.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.