A Ratio Criterion for Signing the Effects of an Increase in Uncertainty
AbstractA decisionmaker wishes to pick b to maximize E[u(z(x,b))] where x is a random variable. A shift in the probability density function of x from f(x) to g(x) is considered where g(x) can be interpreted as representing greater uncertainty. A set of conditions on the behavior of the ratio of f(x) to g(x) over the support of x are derived sufficient to sign the effect of the shift on the decision variable. Copyright 1989 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1989)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hau, Arthur, 2006. "Production under uncertainty with insurance or hedging," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 347-359, April.
- Tzeng, Larry Y. & Wang, Jen-Hung, 2004. "Increase in risk and saving behavior," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(5), pages 405-414.
- Gollier, Christian, 2009.
"Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion,"
TSE Working Papers
09-068, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Christian Gollier, 2011. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1329-1344.
- Gollier, Christian, 2009. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," IDEI Working Papers 357, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2011.
- Harris Schlesinger & Christian Gollier, 2001.
"Changes in Risk and Asset Prices,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
443, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gollier, Christian & Schlesinger, Harris, 1996. "Portfolio choice under noisy asset returns," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 47-51, October.
- Choi, Gyemyung & Kim, Iltae & Snow, Arthur, 2000. "Comparative statics predictions for the cross-effects of central dominance changes in risk with quasilinear payoffs," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 41-48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.