Social Capital and the Use of ICTs by Small-Scale Entrepreneurs in Soweto, South Africa
AbstractInformation and Communication Technologies (ICTs) play a key role in starting and operating small-scale businesses. In Soweto, South Africa, mobile phones have sparked the creation of new business models and strategies among entrepreneurs. Their use is shown to help maintain relationships and build trust between businesses and clients, thus contributing to individuals' social capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by IDATE, Com&Strat dept. in its journal Communications & Strategies.
Volume (Year): 1 (2012)
Issue (Month): 86 (2nd quarter)
social capital; South Africa; Soweto; mobile phones; strategies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
- Z1 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey James & Mila Versteeg, 2007. "Mobile phones in Africa: how much do we really know?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 117-126, October.
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Lars-Hendrik RÃ¶ller & Leonard Waverman, 1996. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CIG Working Papers, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG) FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- RÃ¶ller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- James, M.J. & Versteeg, M., 2007. "Mobile phones in Africa: How much do we really know?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-347368, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (BLAVIER Thomas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.