Social Insertion Income: the contribution of the association Qualificar para Incluyir towards enhancing this policy
AbstractStrong constraints limit the potential of the Social Insertion Income (SII) policy to fight the resurgence of material poverty and the current loss of social cohesion. The right to insertion is seriously compromised by the chronic deficit of job opportunities and the withdrawal of the Welfare State. However, by translating scientific knowledge of economic, social and symbolic exclusion into modes of action, it is possible to take advantage of the narrow scope of institutional power that remains in the scope of local intervention. Raising the social and cultural capital of SII beneficiaries in order to reformulate their habitus and promoting their return to training in order to acquire an effective asset for their professional and social life are the main axes of the social experiments undertaken by the association Qualificar para Incluir.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its journal Notas Económicas.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 35 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2010.
"Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2010/25, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues & Isabel Andrade, 2012. "Monetary Poverty, Material Deprivation and Consistent Poverty in Portugal," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 35, pages 20-39, June.
- Carlos Farinha Rodrigues, 2009. "Efficacy of Anti-poverty and Welfare Programs in Portugal: the Joint Impact of the CSI and RSI," Working Papers Department of Economics 2009/42, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Miguel Gouveia & Carlos Farinha Rodrigues, 1999. "The impact of a "Minimum Guaranteed Income Program" in Portugal," Working Papers Department of Economics 1999/03, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.