Innovations in performance measurement in banking
AbstractIn banking over the past 10 years, management accountants have been instrumental in the creation of new management processes and performance systems. Their innovations have enabled banks to create internal capital markets, measure risks so as to facilitate their proper hedging and pricing, and create risk-based performance standards for lines of business. They have also made great progress in creating data bases and analytical tools to resolve strategic conflicts.> This article discusses the evolution of commercial banks into semiautonomous lines of business and the managerial issues and challenges that this organizational change has created. It goes on to describe the development of funds transfer systems, the allocation of risk-based capital, and the creation of risk-adjusted hurdle rates. Unresolved issues in bank management are also reviewed, such as the problem of "adding up" in the allocation of capital, the valuation of customer relationships, and the creation of objective measures of credit risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Boston in its journal New England Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): May ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Katerina Simons, 1996. "Value at risk: new approaches to risk management," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Sep, pages 3-13.
- Robert C. Merton & André Perold, 1993. "Theory Of Risk Capital In Financial Firms," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(3), pages 16-32.
- Edward Zaik & John Walter & Gabriela Retting & Christopher James, 1996. "Raroc At Bank Of America: From Theory To Practice," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 9(2), pages 83-93.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999.
"Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 1999. "Optimal Capital Allocation Using RAROC And EVA," CEPR Discussion Papers 2344, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tharusha N. Gooneratne & Zahirul Hoque, 2013. "Management control research in the banking sector: A critical review and directions for future research," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(2), pages 144-171, July.
- Stoughton, Neal & Zechner, Josef, 2004.
"Optimal Capital Allocation Using RAROC(tm) and EVA,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4169, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stoughton, Neal M. & Zechner, Josef, 2007. "Optimal capital allocation using RAROC(TM) and EVA(R)," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 312-342, July.
- Paul Frijters, 1998.
"The sale of relational capital through tenure profiles and tournaments,"
Discussion Papers Series
443, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Frijters, Paul, 2000. "The sale of relational capital through tenure profiles and tournaments," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 373-384, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.