Import prices and nominal exchange rates in Sweden
AbstractThe relationship between the nominal exchange rate and import prices is central to the determination of inflation in a small open economy like Sweden. Since the pass-through of exchange rate changes to import prices appears to be affected by the size of the country, it may be expected to be higher in Sweden than what has been documented for major nations. Using the Johansen (1988) approach to cointegration, the long-run pass-through of exchange rate changes to import prices on manufactured goods is estimated to be 0.6-0.8. This is slightly higher than what is typically found for small countries. A second result is that import prices are affected by Swedish macroeconomic conditions, which violates the small open economy assumption. Finally, neither the law of one price nor the small open economy assumption is rejected in the case of Swedish oil imports.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 10 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Alexius, Annika, 1996. "Long Run Real Exchange Rates - A Cointegration Analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 119, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," NBER Working Papers 5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jacobson, 1995. "Simulating small-sample properties of the maximum likelihood cointegration method : estimation and testing," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 96-107, Autumn.
- Jacobson, Tor & Vredin, Anders & Warne, Anders, 1994. "Common Trends and Hysteresis in Unemployment," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 34, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.