Trading Intensity and Intraday Volatility on the Prague Stock Exchange: Evidence from an Autoregressive Conditional Duration Model (in English)
AbstractUsing trade and quote data from the Prague Stock Exchange, this study investigates the empirical behavior of price durations defined as the time needed for a quote midpoint to move by a given amount. Focusing on the three most liquid securities traded on the exchange – Cesky Telecom, CEZ, and Komercni banka – the authors estimate autoregressive conditional duration (ACD) models for price-duration series and test several market-microstructure hypotheses suggested by the information-based models of market microstructure. Similar to earlier studies, the authors find that price durations exhibit diurnal patterns, overdispersion, and substantial persistence, which can be adequately captured by the ACD model. The market-microstructure hypotheses, however, find little empirical support in the authors´ results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences in its journal Finance a uver - Czech Journal of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 56 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5-6 (May)
autoregressive conditional duration; instantaneous volatility; market microstructure;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G18 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meitz, Mika & Terasvirta, Timo, 2006.
"Evaluating Models of Autoregressive Conditional Duration,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 24, pages 104-124, January.
- Meitz, Mika & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2004. "Evaluating models of autoregressive conditional duration," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 557, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 13 Dec 2004.
- McInish, Thomas H & Wood, Robert A, 1992. " An Analysis of Intraday Patterns in Bid/Ask Spreads for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 753-64, June.
- GIOT, Pierre, 1999. "Time transformations, intraday data and volatility models," CORE Discussion Papers 1999044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gourieroux, Christian & Monfort, Alain & Trognon, Alain, 1984.
"Pseudo Maximum Likelihood Methods: Theory,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 681-700, May.
- Hans R. Stoll, .
"The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
2-78, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1978. "The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1133-51, September.
- Hans R. Stoll, . "The Supply of Dealer Services in Securities Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 02-78, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Hanousek, Jan & Podpiera, Richard, 2003. "Informed trading and the bid-ask spread: evidence from an emerging market," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 275-296, June.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Easley, David & Kiefer, Nicholas M & O'Hara, Maureen, 1997. "One Day in the Life of a Very Common Stock," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 805-35.
- Song Chen, 2000. "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 471-480, September.
- Hanousek, Jan & Podpiera, Richard, 2004. "Czech experience with market maker trading system," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 177-191, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.