Peter Bauer: Blazing the Trail of Development
AbstractPeter Bauer was a pioneer in development economics and his contributions to the field have been vindicated by the collapse of central planning. Through most of his career, however, Bauer was marginalized by the economics profession. Even after the fall of the Berlin Wall, economists frequently neglect Bauerâ€™s work. Two survey articles on trade and development by Anne Krueger are presented as examples of that neglect. Bauerâ€™s emphasis on choice, his interdisciplinary methodology, and his criticism of excessive reliance on formal analysis may help explain the neglect of Bauer even among those who arrive at the same insights and general policy prescriptions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econ Journal Watch in its journal Econ Journal Watch.
Volume (Year): 4 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Economic development; trade; growth; economic history;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- O4 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deepak Lal, 1987. "Markets, Mandarins, and Mathematicians," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 7(1), pages 43-75, Spring/Su.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1997.
"Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997. "Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn," NBER Working Papers 5896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Basil S. Yamey, 1987. "Peter Bauer: Economist and Scholar," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 7(1), pages 21-27, Spring/Su.
- Susan Anderson & Peter Boettke, 2004. "The Development Set: The Character of the _Journal of Development Economics_ 2002," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 1(2), pages 306-318, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jason Briggeman) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Jason Briggeman to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.