A Growth Rate for a Sustainable Economy
AbstractA sustainable growth rate â€“ i.e. a growth rate which allows economy to expand without compromising the equilibrium of the natural system â€“ is one of the most important and stimulating topics in growth literature. In this paper two findings will be presented. First of all, a brief discussion of both concepts â€“ growth and development â€“ is presented. A new sight for their relationship is suggested. The usual distinction between quantitative and qualitative variables is shown to be unsatisfactory. Growth and development must fit in a sustainability framework and therefore, progress should be based on steps of sustainable economic growth in order to have higher development levels. Secondly, a two-sector-closed-economy model is presented to demonstrate the existence of a positive sustainable growth rate for the GDP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova in its journal Journal of Applied Economic Sciences.
Volume (Year): 5 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2(12)/Summer2010 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www2.spiruharet.ro/facultati/facultate.php?id=14
More information through EDIRC
economic growth; sustainable growth; development; sustainability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
- O49 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Other
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q50 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - General
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Laura Stefanescu).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.