Organizational slack and firm's internationalization: A longitudinal study of high-technology firms
AbstractWe employ both organization theory and economic theory for exploring how the effects of high-discretion organizational slack and low-discretion organizational slack impact the degree of firm's internationalization. We tested hypotheses using longitudinal data (2000-2005) from 179 high-technology publicly listed companies in Taiwan. The results indicate a U-shaped relationship exists between high-discretion organizational slack and the internationalization of firms. In contrast, low-discretion organizational slack presents a positive linear relationship with the internationalization of firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of World Business.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/620401/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sumantra Ghoshal & Christopher A Bartlett, 1988. "Creation, Adoption and Diffusion of Innovations by Subsidiaries of Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 365-388, September.
- B Elango & Chinmay Pattnaik, 2007. "Building capabilities for international operations through networks: a study of Indian firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(4), pages 541-555, July.
- Daniel, Francis & Lohrke, Franz T. & Fornaciari, Charles J. & Turner, R. Jr., 2004. "Slack resources and firm performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(6), pages 565-574, June.
- Pla-Barber, José & Alegre, Joaquín, 2007. "Analysing the link between export intensity, innovation and firm size in a science-based industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 275-293, June.
- Calof, Jonathan L. & Beamish, Paul W., 1995. "Adapting to foreign markets: Explaining internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-131, June.
- Daniel Sullivan, 1994. "Measuring the Degree of Internationalization of a Firm," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 325-342, June.
- Kuivalainen, Olli & Sundqvist, Sanna & Servais, Per, 2007. "Firms' degree of born-globalness, international entrepreneurial orientation and export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 253-267, September.
- Chiung-Hui Tseng & Patriya Tansuhaj & William Hallagan & James McCullough, 2007. "Effects of firm resources on growth in multinationality," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(6), pages 961-974, November.
- Daniel A. Levinthal, 1997. "Adaptation on Rugged Landscapes," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(7), pages 934-950, July.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Araujo, Luis & Rezende, Sergio, 2003. "Path dependence, MNCs and the internationalisation process: a relational approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 719-737, December.
- Jan Johanson & Jan-Erik Vahlne, 1977. "The Internationalization Process of the Firm—A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 23-32, March.
- Huang, Jing-Wen & Li, Yong-Hui, 2012. "Slack resources in team learning and project performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 381-388.
- Kiss, Andreea N. & Danis, Wade M. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2012. "International entrepreneurship research in emerging economies: A critical review and research agenda," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 266-290.
- Lin, Wen-Ting & Liu, Yunshi, 2012. "Successor characteristics, organisational slack, and change in the degree of firm internationalisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 89-101.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.