Factors of broadband development and the design of a strategic policy framework
AbstractThe paper analyses the household use of broadband technology and services in EU countries in an attempt to find the main reasons which explain the differences seen among countries. With the use of factor analysis, the underlying factors are identified as: (1) enablers and means; (2) the use of services; and (3) the ICT sector's development. Based on these findings, a two-dimensional framework that enables the classification of policy actions depending on the influencing factor and type of influence is developed. The framework can be used to analyse what is the appropriate set of policies at the national and regional governmental levels leading towards the better diffusion of new broadband (BB) technologies and services.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Concepcion GARCIA-JIMENEZ & Jose Luis GOMEZ-BARROSO, 2009. "Universal Service in a Broader Perspective: The European Digital Divide," Informatica Economica, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(2), pages 155-165.
- Pratompong Srinuan & Chalita Srinuan & Erik Bohlin, 2011. "The Mobile Broadband and Fixed Broadband Battle in Swedish Market: Complementary or substitution?," RSCAS Working Papers 2011/36, European University Institute.
- Lee, Jong-Ho & Garrett, Tony C. & Self, Donald R. & Findley Musgrove, Carolyn S. ("Casey"), 2012. "Expressive versus instrumental functions on technology attractiveness in the UK and Korea," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(11), pages 1600-1605.
- Sangwon Lee & Justin S. Brown, 2008. "The Diffusion of Fixed Broadband: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 08-19, NET Institute, revised Sep 2008.
- Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich & Lange, Mirjam R. J., 2014. "The impact of tariff diversity on broadband diffusion: An empirical analysis," DICE Discussion Papers 156, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.