The Mobile Broadband and Fixed Broadband Battle in Swedish Market: Complementary or substitution?
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate the current broadband situation in Swedish market, in particular whether the mobile broadband (MBB) is a complementary or substitute service to fixed broadband (FBB) by using multinomial logit model. The data is collected from the Post- och telestyrelsen (PTS) survey in 2009 together with a secondary data on price of broadband service for each service providers. The findings indicate that price and type of housing are the major determinant for broadband connections. In addition, the living area and service provider affect the probability of using broadband. Considering the own price elasticities, cable is more inelastic compared to DSL, LAN/Fiber and MBB while the cross price elasticities show that MBB is complementary service to FBB in Sweden at this stage. However, the cross price elasticities of FBBs and MBB report that there is high possibility that MBB could be substitution service to FBB in the near future.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series RSCAS Working Papers with number 2011/36.
Date of creation: 26 Jun 2011
Date of revision:
mobile broadband; fixed broadband; Complementary; substitution;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahn, Hyungtaik & Lee, Myeong-Ho, 1999. "An econometric analysis of the demand for access to mobile telephone networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 297-305, September.
- Garbacz, Christopher & Thompson Jr, Herbert G., 2007. "Demand for telecommunication services in developing countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 276-289, June.
- Joshua S. Gans & Stephen P. King & Julian Wright, 2005. "Wireless Communications," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-45, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Trkman, Peter & Jerman Blazic, Borka & Turk, Tomaz, 2008. "Factors of broadband development and the design of a strategic policy framework," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 101-115, March.
- Garbacz, Christopher & Thompson, Herbert Jr., 2005. "Universal telecommunication service: A world perspective," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 495-512, October.
- Madden, Gary G & Simpson, Michael, 1997.
"Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data,"
11936, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Madden & Michael Simpson, 1997. "Residential broadband subscription demand: an econometric analysis of Australian choice experiment data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(8), pages 1073-1078.
- Vagliasindi, Maria & Güney, Izzet & Taubman, Chris, 2006. "Fixed and mobile competition in transition economies," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 349-367, August.
- Vogelsang, Ingo, 2010. "The relationship between mobile and fixed-line communications: A survey," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 4-17, March.
- Eskelinen, Heikki & Frank, Lauri & Hirvonen, Timo, 2008. "Does strategy matter? A comparison of broadband rollout policies in Finland and Sweden," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 412-421, July.
- Madden, Gary & Simpson, Michel & Savage, Scott, 2002.
"Broadband Delivered Entertainment Services: Forecasting Australian Subscription Intentions,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(243), pages 422-32, December.
- Madden, Gary G & Simpson, Michael & Savage, Scott, 2002. "Broadband delivered entertainment services: forecasting Australian subscription intentions," MPRA Paper 10915, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolfgang Briglauer & Anton Schwarz & Christine Zulehner, 2011. "Is fixed-mobile substitution strong enough to de-regulate fixed voice telephony? Evidence from the Austrian markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 50-67, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RSCAS web unit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.