Termination-discriminatory pricing, subscriber bandwagons, and network traffic patterns: the Taiwanese mobile phone market
AbstractThis article studies network effects induced by termination-based price discrimination in the evolving Taiwan mobile phone market. An econometric model that estimates the effects attests to the formation of bandwagon behavior among network subscribers. It is shown that networks with a large subscriber base will recruit a disproportionately greater share of new users ceteris paribus compared with low-penetration operators. The strength of the subscriber bandwagon varies closely with the price differential of intra- and inter-network calls. Also, analysis of network traffic reveals that an average mobile phone user consumes considerably less inter-network than intra-network airtime; consequently, mobile phone use is largely clustered within respective networks and hindered from traversing others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 28 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michal Grajek, 2007.
"Estimating network effects and compatibility in mobile telecommunications,"
ESMT Research Working Papers
ESMT-07-001, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Michal Grajek, 2003. "Estimating Network Effects and Compatibility in Mobile Telecommunications," CIG Working Papers SP II 2003-26, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Bölcskei, Vanda, 2010.
"A távbeszélő-szolgáltatások keresleti modelljeinek áttekintése - különös tekintettel a vezetékes és mobilszolgáltatások közötti helyettesítés becslésére
[A review of the demand ," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(6), pages 517-535.
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2007. "Price structure and network externalities in the telecommunications industry : evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4200, The World Bank.
- Zucchini, Leon & Claussen, Jörg & Trüg, Moritz, 2013.
"Tariff-mediated network effects versus strategic discounting: Evidence from German mobile telecommunications,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 751-759.
- Zucchini, Leon & Claussen, Jörg & Trüg, Moritz, 2013. "Tariff-Mediated Network Effects versus Strategic Discounting: Evidence from German Mobile Telecommunications," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 14848, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Srinuan, Chalita & Srinuan, Pratompong & Bohlin, Erik, 2012. "Exploring mobile pricing strategies and innovations in the Thai mobile communications market," 19th ITS Biennial Conference, Bangkok 2012: Moving Forward with Future Technologies - Opening a Platform for All 72522, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Chen-Ju Lin & Ci-Rong Li & Chih-Peng Chu, 2011. "The effects of applying a hybrid method with a macro–micro approach for market research in the telecommunication industry," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 829-843, June.
- Grajek, Michal, 2010. "Estimating network effects and compatibility: Evidence from the Polish mobile market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 130-143, May.
- repec:lmu:msmdpa:12688 is not listed on IDEAS
- Karaçuka, Mehmet & Çatik, A. Nazif & Haucap, Justus, 2012. "Consumer choice and local network effects in mobile telecommunications in Turkey," DICE Discussion Papers 70, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.