Termination-discriminatory pricing, subscriber bandwagons, and network traffic patterns: the Taiwanese mobile phone market
AbstractThis article studies network effects induced by termination-based price discrimination in the evolving Taiwan mobile phone market. An econometric model that estimates the effects attests to the formation of bandwagon behavior among network subscribers. It is shown that networks with a large subscriber base will recruit a disproportionately greater share of new users ceteris paribus compared with low-penetration operators. The strength of the subscriber bandwagon varies closely with the price differential of intra- and inter-network calls. Also, analysis of network traffic reveals that an average mobile phone user consumes considerably less inter-network than intra-network airtime; consequently, mobile phone use is largely clustered within respective networks and hindered from traversing others.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Telecommunications Policy.
Volume (Year): 28 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/30471/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Grajek, Michal, 2010. "Estimating network effects and compatibility: Evidence from the Polish mobile market," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 130-143, May.
- repec:lmu:msmdpa:12688 is not listed on IDEAS
- Iimi, Atsushi, 2007. "Price structure and network externalities in the telecommunications industry : evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4200, The World Bank.
- Srinuan, Chalita & Srinuan, Pratompong & Bohlin, Erik, 2012. "Exploring mobile pricing strategies and innovations in the Thai mobile communications market," 19th ITS Biennial Conference, Bangkok 2012: Moving Forward with Future Technologies - Opening a Platform for All 72522, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Michal Grajek, 2003.
"Estimating Network Effects and Compatibility in Mobile Telecommunications,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2003-26, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Michal Grajek, 2007. "Estimating Network Effects and Compatibility in Mobile Telecommunications," ESMT Research Working Papers ESMT-07-001, ESMT European School of Management and Technology.
- Chen-Ju Lin & Ci-Rong Li & Chih-Peng Chu, 2011. "The effects of applying a hybrid method with a macro–micro approach for market research in the telecommunication industry," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(4), pages 829-843, June.
- Karaçuka, Mehmet & Çatik, A. Nazif & Haucap, Justus, 2012. "Consumer choice and local network effects in mobile telecommunications in Turkey," DICE Discussion Papers 70, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.