Dispersion measures and dispersive orderings
AbstractIn this paper, the comparison of random variables according to the functionals of a general class of dispersion measures is characterized in terms of the dilation order. The Gini's mean difference is a particular member of this general class. In addition, a new and weaker order, called the second-order absolute Lorenz ordering, is introduced, and we judge random variables according to certain functionals of this class when the dilation order is not available.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 61 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1982. "Stochastic Dominance, Mean Variance, and Gini's Mean Difference," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 178-85, March.
- Mehran, Farhad, 1976. "Linear Measures of Income Inequality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(4), pages 805-09, July.
- Moyes, Patrick, 1987. "A new concept of Lorenz domination," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 203-207.
- W. Sendler, 1979. "On statistical inference in concentration measurement," Metrika, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 109-122, December.
- Newbery, David, 1970. "A theorem on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 264-266, September.
- Sordo, Miguel A., 2008. "Characterizations of classes of risk measures by dispersive orders," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 1028-1034, June.
- Miguel Sordo & Héctor Ramos, 2007. "Characterization of stochastic orders by L-functionals," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 48(2), pages 249-263, April.
- López-Díaz, Miguel & Sordo, Miguel A. & Suárez-Llorens, Alfonso, 2012. "On the Lp-metric between a probability distribution and its distortion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 257-264.
- Sordo, Miguel A., 2009. "Comparing tail variabilities of risks by means of the excess wealth order," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 466-469, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.