A local limit theorem for random walk maxima with heavy tails
AbstractFor a random walk with negative mean and heavy-tailed increment distribution F, it is well known that under suitable subexponential assumptions, the distribution [pi] of the maximum has a tail [pi](x,[infinity]) which is asymptotically proportional to . We supplement here this by a local result showing that [pi](x,x+z] is asymptotically proportional to zF(x,[infinity]).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 56 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Embrechts, P. & Veraverbeke, N., 1982. "Estimates for the probability of ruin with special emphasis on the possibility of large claims," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Hansen, Niels Richard & Jensen, Anders Tolver, 2005. "The extremal behaviour over regenerative cycles for Markov additive processes with heavy tails," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 115(4), pages 579-591, April.
- Geluk, J.L. & Frenk, J.B.G., 2011. "Renewal theory for random variables with a heavy tailed distribution and finite variance," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 77-82, January.
- Wang, Yuebao & Yang, Yang & Wang, Kaiyong & Cheng, Dongya, 2007. "Some new equivalent conditions on asymptotics and local asymptotics for random sums and their applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 256-266, March.
- Barbe, Ph. & McCormick, W.P. & Zhang, C., 2007. "Tail expansions for the distribution of the maximum of a random walk with negative drift and regularly varying increments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 117(12), pages 1835-1847, December.
- Gao, Qingwu & Wang, Yuebao, 2009. "Ruin probability and local ruin probability in the random multi-delayed renewal risk model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(5), pages 588-596, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.