Another interpretation of the EM algorithm for mixture distributions
AbstractThe EM algorithm for mixture problems can be interpreted as a method of coordinate descent on a particular objective function. This view of the iteration partially illuminates the relationship of EM to certain clustering techniques and explains global convergence properties of the algorithm without direct reference to an incomplete data framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 4 (1986)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- 62F - - - - - -
- mix - - - - - -
- dis - - - - - -
- EM - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - -
- alg - - - - - -
- coo - - - - - -
- des - - - - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Depraetere, Nicolas & Vandebroek, Martina, 2011. "Order selection in finite mixtures of linear regressions," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/320861, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Hu, Tianming & Sung, Sam Yuan, 2006. "A hybrid EM approach to spatial clustering," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 50(5), pages 1188-1205, March.
- Gilles Celeux & Gilda Soromenho, 1996. "An entropy criterion for assessing the number of clusters in a mixture model," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 195-212, September.
- Di Zio, Marco & Guarnera, Ugo & Rocci, Roberto, 2007. "A mixture of mixture models for a classification problem: The unity measure error," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 2573-2585, February.
- Govaert, Gérard & Nadif, Mohamed, 2008. "Block clustering with Bernoulli mixture models: Comparison of different approaches," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 3233-3245, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.