Exploring Human Resource Management Practices in Nonprofit Sport Organisations
AbstractContemporary business challenges and globalisation pressures have had a significant impact on the human resource management (HRM) practices of many organisations. Whilst the adoption of more sophisticated, complex and strategic management systems is well documented in the general HR literature, organisations that operate with both paid and volunteer human resources have been virtually ignored by scholars. In this paper we report on a study on the adoption of HRM practices by state sport organisations in New.South Wales, Australia. Our results indicate that despite pressures to become more strategic in their people management, only a minority of these sport organisations have formal HRM systems. We also found differences between the HRM practices used with paid employees and volunteers particularly in organisations with formal HR policies. Research and practical implications for HRM in sport organisations are discussed as well as future challenges
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Sport Management Review.
Volume (Year): 9 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan de Kok & Lorraine M. Uhlaner, 2001.
"Organization Context and Human Resource Management in the Small Firm,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
01-038/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Kok, Jan & Uhlaner, Lorraine M, 2001. " Organization Context and Human Resource Management in the Small Firm," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 273-91, December.
- Catherine Truss, 2001. "Complexities and Controversies in Linking HRM with Organizational Outcomes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(8), pages 1121-1149, December.
- Jan de Kok & Lorraine M. Uhlaner, 2001. "Organization Context and Human Resource Management in the Small Firm," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-038/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Doherty, Alison & Patterson, Michelle & Van Bussel, Michael, 2004. "What Do We Expect? An Examination of Perceived Committee Norms in Non-profit Sport Organisations," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 109-132, November.
- Doherty, Alison J., 1998. "Managing Our Human Resources: A Review of Organisational Behaviour in Sport," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 1-24, November.
- Wicker, Pamela & Breuer, Christoph, 2014. "Exploring the organizational capacity and organizational problems of disability sport clubs in Germany using matched pairs analysis," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 23-34.
- Hoeber, Larena, 2010. "Experiences of volunteering in sport: Views from Aboriginal individuals," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 345-354, November.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.