Innovation in times of crisis: National Systems of Innovation, structure, and demand
AbstractThis article addresses the impact of the current economic downturn on innovation across Europe. Using micro- and macro-data, we investigate to what extent some structural characteristics of National Systems of Innovation, along with demand, affect firms' persistency in terms of innovation investment. It emerges that the effects of the economic downturn in terms of firms' innovation investment are not the same across European countries. The competences and quality of the human resources, the specialization in the high-technology sector, together with the development of the financial system seem to be the structural factors which are able to offset the effect of the economic downturn on innovation investments of firms across Europe. Finally, some considerations about policies during recessions are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 40 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Persistency of innovation Business cycles National System of Innovation European Innovation Policy Economic crisis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frenz, Marion & Ietto-Gillies, Grazia, 2009. "The impact on innovation performance of different sources of knowledge: Evidence from the UK Community Innovation Survey," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 1125-1135, September.
- Carlota Perez, 2009. "The double bubble at the turn of the century: technological roots and structural implications," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 779-805, July.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Sampat, Bhaven N., 2001. "Making sense of institutions as a factor shaping economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 31-54, January.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1999.
"Keynes-Plus? Effective Demand and Changes in Firm-Level R&D: An Empirical Note,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 385-91, May.
- Brouwer, Erik & Kleinknecht, Alfred, 1997. "Keynes-plus? Effective demand and changes in firm-level R&D: an empirical note," Serie Research Memoranda 0038, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1994. "Technology and International Differences in Growth Rates," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(3), pages 1147-75, September.
- Francesco Crespi & Mario Pianta, 2008. "Demand and innovation in productivity growth," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(6), pages 655-672.
- Jan Fagerberg & Martin Srholec, 2007.
"National innovation systems, capabilities and economic development,"
Working Papers on Innovation Studies
20071024, Centre for Technology, Innovation and Culture, University of Oslo.
- Fagerberg, Jan & Srholec, Martin, 2008. "National innovation systems, capabilities and economic development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1417-1435, October.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Massini, Silvia & Lewin, Arie Y. & Numagami, Tsuyoshi & Pettigrew, Andrew M., 2002. "The evolution of organizational routines among large Western and Japanese firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1333-1348, December.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "Schumpeterian patterns of innovation are technology-specific," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 451-478, May.
- Piva, Mariacristina & Vivarelli, Marco, 2006.
"Is Demand-Pulled Innovation Equally Important in Different Groups of Firms?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1982, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mariacristina Piva & Marco Vivarelli, 2007. "Is demand-pulled innovation equally important in different groups of firms?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 31(5), pages 691-710, September.
- Nick Von Tunzelmann, 2004. "Integrating Economic Policy and Technology Policy in the EU," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 105(1), pages 85-104.
- Douglass C. North, 2005.
"Introduction to Understanding the Process of Economic Change
[Understanding the Process of Economic Change]," Introductory Chapters, Princeton University Press.
- Geroski, P A & Walters, C F, 1995. "Innovative Activity over the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 105(431), pages 916-28, July.
- Coriat, Benjamin & Weinstein, Olivier, 2002. "Organizations, firms and institutions in the generation of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 273-290, February.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories,"
27595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 301-314, December.
- Geroski, P. A. & Van Reenen, J. & Walters, C. F., 1997.
"How persistently do firms innovate?,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 33-48, March.
- Lundvall, Bengt-Ake & Johnson, Bjorn & Andersen, Esben Sloth & Dalum, Bent, 2002. "National systems of production, innovation and competence building," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 213-231, February.
- Marion Frenz & Claudia Girardone & Grazia Ietto-Gillies, 2005. "Multinationality Matters in Innovation: The Case of the UK Financial Services," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(1), pages 65-92.
- Petr Rozmahel & Ludek Kouba & Ladislava Grochová & Nikola Najman, 2013. "Integration of Central and Eastern European Countries: Increasing EU Heterogeneity?," WWWforEurope Working Papers series 9, WWWforEurope.
- Luca Andriani & Fabio Sabatini, 2013.
"Trust and Prosocial Behaviour in a Process of State Capacity Building: the Case of the Palestinian Territories,"
6, Birkbeck Centre for Innovation Management Research, revised Oct 2013.
- Archibugi, Daniele & Filippetti, Andrea & Frenz, Marion, 2013. "Economic crisis and innovation: Is destruction prevailing over accumulation?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 303-314.
- Alexander Eickelpasch, 2014. "R&D Behavior of German Manufacturing Companies during the 2008/09 Recession," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1357, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Grigorii V. Teplykh, 2014. "Innovations and productivity: the shift during the 2008 crisis," HSE Working papers WP BRP 23/STI/2014, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
- Nunes, Sérgio & Lopes, Raul, 2013. "Economic crisis and the firms´ innovation process," MPRA Paper 47715, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Makkonen, Teemu, 2013. "Government science and technology budgets in times of crisis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 817-822.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.