The tangible contribution of R&D-spending foreign-owned plants to a host region: a plant level study of the Irish manufacturing sector (1980-1996)
AbstractUsing plant level data from the Irish manufacturing sector, we explore the relationship between foreign direct investment (FDI) and economic growth in Ireland. The central question explored in this paper is whether the tangible contribution of MNC plants which undertake R&D investment in Ireland is greater than the tangible contribution of MNC plants which undertake no R&D investment. We conclude that the scale of R&D activity in a plant is an important determinant in (i) lengthening the duration over which that plant will remain in Ireland and (ii) in improving the quality of employment created in that plant.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research Policy.
Volume (Year): 30 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/respol
Other versions of this item:
- Kearns, A & Ruane, F, 1999. "The Tangible Contribution of R&D Spending Foreign-Owned Plants to a Host Region: a Plant Level Study of the Irish Manufacturing Sector (1980-1996)," Trinity Economics Papers, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics 997, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, F & Bradley, J, 1997.
""FDI and Trade : The Irish Host-Country Experience","
Papers, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-
97/13, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- BlomstrÃ¶m, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- BlomstrÃ¶m, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Damien NEVEN & George SIOTIS, 1995.
"Technology Sourcing and FDI in the EC : An Empirical Evaluation,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP), UniversitÃ© de Lausanne, FacultÃ© des HEC, DEEP
9508, UniversitÃ© de Lausanne, FacultÃ© des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, D. & Siotis, G., 1996. "Technology sourcing and FDI in the EC: An empirical evaluation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 543-560, July.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick P. Walsh, 1997. "The Effect of Real Exchange Rate Movements on the Life Expectancy of Manufacturing Plants in Ireland, 1973-94," Economics Technical Papers, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics 977, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Audretsch, David B, 1991. "New-Firm Survival and the Technological Regime," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(3), pages 441-50, August.
- McAleese, Dermot & McDonald, Donogh, 1978. "Employment Growth and the Development of Linkages in Foreign-Owned and Domestic Manufacturing Enterprises," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(4), pages 321-39, November.
- David Bailey & Helena Lenihan & Ajit Singh, 2008.
"Tiger, Tiger, Burning Bright? Industrial Policy Lessons from Ireland and East Asia for Small African Economies,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers, ESRC Centre for Business Research
wp374, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Bailey, David & Lenihan, Helena & Singh, Ajit, 2008. "Tiger, tiger, burning bright? industrial policy lessons from Ireland and East Asia for small African economies," MPRA Paper 53356, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hewitt-Dundas, Nola & Roper, Stephen, 2002. "Closing the knowledge gap in Irish manufacturing - a north-south comparison," ERSA conference papers ersa02p382, European Regional Science Association.
- Frank Barry & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2001.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Agglomerations and Demonstration Effects - An Empirical Investigation,"
Working Papers, School Of Economics, University College Dublin
200104, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Frank Barry & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2004. "Foreign direct investment, agglomerations, and demonstration effects: An empirical investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 140(3), pages 583-600, September.
- Frank Barry & Holger GÃ¶rg & Eric Strobl, 2003. "Foreign direct investment, agglomerations, and demonstration effects: An empirical investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, Springer, vol. 139(4), pages 583-600, December.
- Barry, Frank & GÃ¶rg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Foreign Direct Investment, Agglomerations and Demonstration Effects: An Empirical Investigation," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 2907, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony McDonnell & Jonathan Lavelle & Patrick Gunnigle & David G. Collings, 2007. "Management Research on Multinational Corporations: A Methodological Critique," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 38(2), pages 234-258.
- Fabienne Fortanier & Selwyn Moons, 2011. "Foreign Investors in The Netherlands: Heterogeneous Employment and Productivity Effects," De Economist, Springer, Springer, vol. 159(4), pages 511-531, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.