A comprehensive techno-economical review of indirect solar desalination
AbstractSolar powered desalination has been the focus of great interest recently worldwide. In the past, majority of the experimental investigations focused on solar coupled thermally driven conventional desalination technologies such as Multi-Stage Flash (MSF) and Multi-Effect Distillation (MED). With the advancement in membrane technology and its advantages such as high Recovery Ratios (RR) and low specific energy requirements Reverse Osmosis (RO) desalination has gained popularity. Currently, 52% of the indirect solar desalination plants are RO based with MED and MSF having a 13% and 9% share respectively. Membrane Distillation (MD) based plants represent 16% of the total and have been a focus of recent research efforts. This paper aims to provide a comprehensive review of all the indirect solar desalination technologies along with plant specific technical details. Efforts assessing the economic feasibility and cost affecting parameters for each desalination technology are also reviewed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mokhtar, Marwan & Ali, Muhammad Tauha & Bräuniger, Simon & Afshari, Afshin & Sgouridis, Sgouris & Armstrong, Peter & Chiesa, Matteo, 2010. "Systematic comprehensive techno-economic assessment of solar cooling technologies using location-specific climate data," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 3766-3778, December.
- Al Suleimani, Zaher & Nair, V. Rajendran, 2000. "Desalination by solar-powered reverse osmosis in a remote area of the Sultanate of Oman," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 65(1-4), pages 367-380, April.
- Sampathkumar, K. & Arjunan, T.V. & Pitchandi, P. & Senthilkumar, P., 2010. "Active solar distillation--A detailed review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1503-1526, August.
- Kaushal, Aayush & Varun, 2010. "Solar stills: A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 446-453, January.
- Velmurugan, V. & Srithar, K., 2011. "Performance analysis of solar stills based on various factors affecting the productivity--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 1294-1304, February.
- Narayan, G. Prakash & Sharqawy, Mostafa H. & Summers, Edward K. & Lienhard, John H. & Zubair, Syed M. & Antar, M.A., 2010. "The potential of solar-driven humidification-dehumidification desalination for small-scale decentralized water production," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 1187-1201, May.
- Arjunan, T.V. & Aybar, H.S. & Nedunchezhian, N., 2009. "Status of solar desalination in India," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2408-2418, December.
- Alawaji, Saleh & Smiai, Mohammed Salah & Rafique, Shah & Stafford, Byron, 1995. "PV-powered water pumping and desalination plant for remote areas in Saudi Arabia," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 52(2-3), pages 283-289.
- Eltawil, Mohamed A. & Zhengming, Zhao & Yuan, Liqiang, 2009. "A review of renewable energy technologies integrated with desalination systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(9), pages 2245-2262, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.