Institutional and demographic influences on the presence, scale and geographic scope of individual Chinese real estate investment
AbstractWe use the results of a survey taken in ten large Chinese cities to investigate several aspects of Chinese real estate investment. The survey provides significant (though not comprehensive) information on the personal and family characteristics and real estate holdings of the survey respondents. In this paper we ask three inter-related questions: 1. What factors are associated with individuals who own property in China? 2. What factors are associated with the extent of such ownership—i.e. what determines the number of properties owned? 3. What factors determine the geographical extent of this ownership; in particular, who owns local property and who owns geographically dispersed?
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Volume (Year): 43 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec
China; Real estate investment; Hukou;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R21 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Housing Demand
- P31 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Socialist Enterprises and Their Transitions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meng, Xin & Gregory, Robert & Wang, Youjuan, 2005.
"Poverty, inequality, and growth in urban China, 1986-2000,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 710-729, December.
- Meng, Xin & Gregory, Bob & Wang, Youjuan, 2005. "Poverty, Inequality, and Growth in Urban China, 1986-2000," IZA Discussion Papers 1452, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Deng, Yongheng & Morck, Randall & Wu, Jing & Yeung, Bernard, 2011.
"Monetary and Fiscal Stimuli, Ownership Structure, and China's Housing Market,"
Ratio Working Papers
173, The Ratio Institute.
- Yongheng Deng & Randall Morck & Jing Wu & Bernard Yeung, 2011. "Monetary and Fiscal Stimuli, Ownership Structure, and China's Housing Market," NBER Working Papers 16871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zheng, Siqi & Fu, Yuming & Liu, Hongyu, 2006. "Housing-choice hindrances and urban spatial structure: Evidence from matched location and location-preference data in Chinese cities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 535-557, November.
- Wendy Dobson & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006.
"The Contradiction in China's Gradualist Banking Reforms,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 37(2), pages 103-162.
- Wendy Dobson & Anil K Kashyap, 2006. "The Contradiction in China’s Gradualist Banking Reforms," Working Papers Series 08, Rotman Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- Youqin Huang & Chengdong Yi, 2010. "Consumption and Tenure Choice of Multiple Homes in Transitional Urban China," International Journal of Housing Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 105-131.
- Wu, Jing & Gyourko, Joseph & Deng, Yongheng, 2012.
"Evaluating conditions in major Chinese housing markets,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 531-543.
- Jing Wu & Joseph Gyourko & Yongheng Deng, 2010. "Evaluating Conditions in Major Chinese Housing Markets," NBER Working Papers 16189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yuming Fu & David K. Tse & nan Zhou, 2000. "Housing Choice Behavior of Urban Workers in China's Transition to a Housing Market," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 00-06, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Kam Wing Chan, 2010. "The Household Registration System and Migrant Labor in China: Notes on a Debate," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 36(2), pages 357-364.
- Zhou, Jingkui, 2011. "Uncertainty and housing tenure choice by household types: Evidence from China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 408-427, September.
- John R. Logan & Yiping Fang & Zhanxin Zhang, 2009. "Access to Housing in Urban China," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(4), pages 914-935, December.
- Henderson, J Vernon & Ioannides, Yannis M, 1983. "A Model of Housing Tenure Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 98-113, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.