Minimizing mean absolute deviation of completion time about a common due window subject to maximum tardiness for a single machine
AbstractThis study deals with the problem of scheduling jobs on a single machine to minimize the mean absolute deviation of the job completion time about a large common due window subject to the maximum tardiness constraint. Using the well-known three-field notation, the problem is identified as MAD/large DueWindow/Tmax. The common due window is set to be large enough to allow idle time prior to the beginning of a schedule to investigate the effect of the Tmax constraint. Penalties arise if a job is completed outside the due window. A branch and bound algorithm and a heuristic are proposed. Many properties of the solutions and precedence relationships are identified. Our computational results reveal that the branch and bound algorithm is capable of solving problems of up to 50 jobs and the heuristic algorithm yields approximate solutions that are very close to the exact solution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 134 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Scheduling Single machine Common due window Mean absolute deviation Maximum tardiness;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Lei & Fonseca, Daniel J. & Chen, Der-San, 2006. "Earliness-tardiness production planning for just-in-time manufacturing: A unifying approach by goal programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(1), pages 508-515, November.
- Biskup, Dirk & Feldmann, Martin, 2005. "On scheduling around large restrictive common due windows," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(3), pages 740-761, May.
- Li, Shisheng & Ng, C.T. & Yuan, Jinjiang, 2011. "Scheduling deteriorating jobs with CON/SLK due date assignment on a single machine," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 747-751, June.
- Shabtay, Dvir, 2010. "Scheduling and due date assignment to minimize earliness, tardiness, holding, due date assignment and batch delivery costs," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 123(1), pages 235-242, January.
- Liman, Surya D. & Panwalkar, Shrikant S. & Thongmee, Sansern, 1996. "Determination of common due window location in a single machine scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 68-74, August.
- Seo, Jong Hwa & Kim, Chae-Bogk & Lee, Dong Hoon, 2001. "Minimizing mean squared deviation of completion times with maximum tardiness constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(1), pages 95-104, February.
- Li, Shisheng & Ng, C.T. & Yuan, Jinjiang, 2011. "Group scheduling and due date assignment on a single machine," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 230-235, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.