Estimating the space requirement for outbound container inventories in port container terminals
AbstractThis paper proposes a method for allocating storage space to groups of outbound containers in port container terminals. For this allocation, a collection of adjacent stacks is reserved for each group of containers with the same attributes. The impacts of various space-reservation strategies on the productivity of the loading operation for outbound containers are discussed. A method is suggested for determining the size of the space requirement for outbound container yards.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 133 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Storage space reservation Outbound container inventory Container terminals;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Taleb-Ibrahimi, Mounira & de Castilho, Bernardo & Daganzo, Carlos F., 1993. "Storage space vs handling work in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 13-32, February.
- Cordeau, Jean-Francois & Gaudioso, Manlio & Laporte, Gilbert & Moccia, Luigi, 2007. "The service allocation problem at the Gioia Tauro Maritime Terminal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 1167-1184, January.
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Park, Kang Tae, 2003. "A note on a dynamic space-allocation method for outbound containers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 92-101, July.
- Lim, Andrew & Xu, Zhou, 2006. "A critical-shaking neighborhood search for the yard allocation problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1247-1259, October.
- Zhang, Chuqian & Liu, Jiyin & Wan, Yat-wah & Murty, Katta G. & Linn, Richard J., 2003. "Storage space allocation in container terminals," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(10), pages 883-903, December.
- Carlo, Héctor J. & Vis, Iris F.A. & Roodbergen, Kees Jan, 2014. "Storage yard operations in container terminals: Literature overview, trends, and research directions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(2), pages 412-430.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.