EPQ models with varying setup cost
AbstractIn this paper, the classical economic production quantity (EPQ) model is generalized by considering a relationship between the setup cost and the production run length. The dependency between the setup cost and run length can be related to process deterioration and learning and forgetting effects. Two models are developed, the first of which is for the case when shortages are not allowed and the other one permits shortages. The cost functions associated with these models are proved to be convex and optimal solutions are determined. Results show that the relationship between setup cost and production run length has a significant impact on the optimal lot size and average total cost in the EPQ model. Numerical examples are presented to demonstrate the utility of the models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 113 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & Bonney, Maurice, 2003. "Lot sizing with learning and forgetting in set-ups and in product quality," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 95-111, January.
- Anne M. Spence & Evan L. Porteus, 1987. "Setup Reduction and Increased Effective Capacity," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(10), pages 1291-1301, October.
- Willard I. Zangwill, 1987. "From EOQ Towards ZI," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(10), pages 1209-1223, October.
- Salameh, M. K. & Jaber, M. Y., 2000. "Economic production quantity model for items with imperfect quality," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-3), pages 59-64, March.
- Darwish, M.A. & Ben-Daya, M., 2007. "Effect of inspection errors and preventive maintenance on a two-stage production inventory system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 301-313, May.
- Jaber, Mohamad Y. & Bonney, Maurice, 1999. "The economic manufacture/order quantity (EMQ/EOQ) and the learning curve: Past, present, and future," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 93-102, March.
- Yang, Jiaqin & Deane, Richard H., 1993. "Setup time reduction and competitive advantage in a closed manufacturing cell," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 413-423, September.
- John P. Leschke & Elliott N. Weiss, 1997. "The Multi-Item Setup-Reduction Investment-Allocation Problem with Continuous Investment-Cost Functions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(6), pages 890-894, June.
- Freimer, Michael & Thomas, Douglas & Tyworth, John, 2006. "The value of setup cost reduction and process improvement for the economic production quantity model with defects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 241-251, August.
- Evan L. Porteus, 1985. "Investing in Reduced Setups in the EOQ Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(8), pages 998-1010, August.
- Dellino, Gabriella & Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Meloni, Carlo, 2010.
"Robust optimization in simulation: Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology,"
International Journal of Production Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 52-59, May.
- Dellino, G. & Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Meloni, C., 2010. "Robust optimization in simulation: Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3792109, Tilburg University.
- Dellino, G. & Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Meloni, C., 2008. "Robust Optimization in Simulation: Taguchi and Response Surface Methodology," Discussion Paper 2008-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Nadeau, Marie-Claude & Kar, Ashish & Roth, Richard & Kirchain, Randolph, 2010. "A dynamic process-based cost modeling approach to understand learning effects in manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 223-234, November.
- Guchhait, Partha & Kumar Maiti, Manas & Maiti, Manoranjan, 2013. "Production-inventory models for a damageable item with variable demands and inventory costs in an imperfect production process," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 180-188.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.