Cascading failure in Watts–Strogatz small-world networks
AbstractIn this paper, we study the cascading failure in Watts–Strogatz small-world networks. We find that this network model has a heterogeneous betweenness distribution, although its degree distribution is homogeneous. Further study shows that this small-world network is robust to random attack but fragile to intentional attack, in the cascading failure scenario. With comparison to standard random graph and scale-free networks, our result indicates that the robust yet fragile property in the cascading failure scenario is mainly related to heterogeneous betweenness, rather than the network degree distribution. Thus, it suggests that we have to be very careful when we use terms such as homogeneous network and heterogeneous network, unless the distribution we refer to is specified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 389 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Complex networks; Small-world networks; Betweenness; Cascading failure;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Jianwei & Rong, Lili & Zhang, Liang & Zhang, Zhongzhi, 2008. "Attack vulnerability of scale-free networks due to cascading failures," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(26), pages 6671-6678.
- Crucitti, Paolo & Latora, Vito & Marchiori, Massimo & Rapisarda, Andrea, 2004. "Error and attack tolerance of complex networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 340(1), pages 388-394.
- Xu, Jian & Wang, Xiao Fan, 2005. "Cascading failures in scale-free coupled map lattices," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 349(3), pages 685-692.
- R. Kinney & P. Crucitti & R. Albert & V. Latora, 2005. "Modeling cascading failures in the North American power grid," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 101-107, 07.
- Fabio Caccioli & J. Doyne Farmer & Nick Foti & Daniel Rockmore, 2013. "How interbank lending amplifies overlapping portfolio contagion: A case study of the Austrian banking network," Papers 1306.3704, arXiv.org.
- Foti, Nicholas J. & Pauls, Scott & Rockmore, Daniel N., 2013. "Stability of the World Trade Web over time – An extinction analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1889-1910.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.