Communities in Italian corporate networks
AbstractThe community structure of two real-world financial networks, namely the board network and the ownership network of the firms of the Italian Stock Exchange, is analyzed by means of the maximum modularity approach. The main result is that both networks exhibit a strong community structure and, moreover, that the two structures overlap significantly. This is due to a number of reasons, including the existence of pyramidal groups and directors serving in several boards. Overall, this means that the “small world” of listed companies is actually split into well identifiable “continents” (i.e., the communities).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 389 (2010)
Issue (Month): 22 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Networks; Communities; Modularity; Board network; Ownership network;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Battiston & Jo\~ao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2005.
"The Network of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks across Europe,"
- Stefano Battiston & Joao F. Rodrigues & Hamza Zeytinoglu, 2007. "The Network Of Inter-Regional Direct Investment Stocks Across Europe," Advances in Complex Systems (ACS), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 29-51.
- Raffaele Corrado & Maurizio Zollo, 2006. "Small worlds evolving: governance reforms, privatizations, and ownership networks in Italy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 15(2), pages 319-352, April.
- Caldarelli, Guido & Catanzaro, Michele, 2004. "The corporate boards networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 338(1), pages 98-106.
- Battiston, Stefano & Bonabeau, Eric & Weisbuch, Gérard, 2003. "Decision making dynamics in corporate boards," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 322(C), pages 567-582.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Gerald F. Davis, 1996. "The Significance of Board Interlocks for Corporate Governance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 154-159, 07.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"Law and Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "Law and Finance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1113-1155, December.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, . "Law and Finance," Working Paper 19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- E. A. Leicht & G. Clarkson & K. Shedden & M. E.J. Newman, 2007. "Large-scale structure of time evolving citation networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, Springer, vol. 59(1), pages 75-83, 09.
- Mara Faccio, 2006. "Politically Connected Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 369-386, March.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Battiston, Stefano, 2004. "Inner structure of capital control networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 338(1), pages 107-112.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- J. B. Glattfelder & S. Battiston, 2009. "Backbone of complex networks of corporations: The flow of control," Papers 0902.0878, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2009.
- Garlaschelli, Diego & Battiston, Stefano & Castri, Maurizio & Servedio, Vito D.P. & Caldarelli, Guido, 2005.
"The scale-free topology of market investments,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 350(2), pages 491-499.
- S. Battiston & M. Catanzaro, 2004. "Statistical properties of corporate board and director networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, Springer, vol. 38(2), pages 345-352, 03.
- Alexander Aganin & Paolo Volpin, 2005. "The History of Corporate Ownership in Italy," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 325-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2001.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
Working Papers, Santa Fe Institute
01-01-003, Santa Fe Institute.
- V. Zlatic & G. Bianconi & A. DÃaz-Guilera & D. Garlaschelli & F. Rao & G. Caldarelli, 2009. "On the rich-club effect in dense and weighted networks," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, Springer, vol. 67(3), pages 271-275, February.
- Meila, Marina, 2007. "Comparing clusterings--an information based distance," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(5), pages 873-895, May.
- Francesca Pallotti & Alessandro Lomi & Daniele Mascia, 2013. "From network ties to network structures: Exponential Random Graph Models of interorganizational relations," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 1665-1685, April.
- Wu, Jianshe & Li, Xiaoxiao & Jiao, Licheng & Wang, Xiaohua & Sun, Bo, 2013. "Minimum spanning trees for community detection," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(9), pages 2265-2277.
- Shen, Yi, 2014. "The similarity of weights on edges and discovering of community structure," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 393(C), pages 560-570.
- Xiao-Qian Sun & Xue-Qi Cheng & Hua-Wei Shen & Zhao-Yang Wang, 2011. "Distinguishing manipulated stocks via trading network analysis," Papers 1110.2260, arXiv.org.
- Sun, Xiao-Qian & Cheng, Xue-Qi & Shen, Hua-Wei & Wang, Zhao-Yang, 2011. "Distinguishing manipulated stocks via trading network analysis," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(20), pages 3427-3434.
- Stefania Vitali & Stefano Battiston, 2013. "The Community Structure of the Global Corporate Network," Papers 1301.2363, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.