Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations
AbstractWe provide the first necessary and suÂ±cient conditions in the literature for the existence of maximal elements in a non-binary choice framework. As an application, the characterization of the existence of maximal elements for acyclic binary relations obtained in Rodriguez-Palmero and Garcia-Lapresta, 2002, Mathematical Social Sciences 43, 55-60, is deduced as a Corollary. Further characterizations in diÂ®erent settings given by Tian and Zhou, 1995, Journal of Mathematical Economics 24, 281- 303, follow as well. Analogous characterization problems in the k- acyclic binary cases are solved too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 51 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Other versions of this item:
- J C R Alcantud, 2004. "Maximality with or without binariness: transfer-type characterizations," Microeconomics 0402015, EconWPA.
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klaus Nehring, 1997. "Rational choice and revealed preference without binariness," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 403-425.
- Tian, Guoqiang & Zhou, Jianxin, 1995. "Transfer continuities, generalizations of the Weierstrass and maximum theorems: A full characterization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 281-303.
- Alcantud, J. C. R., 2002. "Non-binary choice in a non-deterministic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 117-123, September.
- J. C. R. Alcantud & Carlos Alós-Ferrer, 2002. "Choice-Nash Equilibria," Vienna Economics Papers 0209, University of Vienna, Department of Economics.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
- J.C. R. Alcantud, 2002. "Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 407-416.
- Peters, Hans & Wakker, Peter, 1991. "Independence of Irrelevant Alternatives and Revealed Group Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1787-1801, November.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974.
"Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences,"
94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975. "Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Rodriguez-Palmero, Carlos & Garcia-Lapresta, Jose-Luis, 2002. "Maximal elements for irreflexive binary relations on compact sets," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 55-60, January.
- Llinares, Juan-Vicente & Sanchez, M. Carmen, 1999. "Non-binary choice functions on non-compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 29-32, April.
- Duggan, John, 2011. "General conditions for the existence of maximal elements via the uncovered set," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 755-759.
- Kukushkin, Nikolai S., 2008. "Maximizing an interval order on compact subsets of its domain," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 195-206, September.
- Alcantud, J.C.R., 2008. "Mixed choice structures, with applications to binary and non-binary optimization," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3-4), pages 242-250, February.
- John Duggan, 2011. "General Conditions for Existence of Maximal Elements via the Uncovered Set," RCER Working Papers 563, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Özgür Evren, 2012. "Scalarization Methods and Expected Multi-Utility Representations," Working Papers w0174, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.