AbstractWe provide existence results for equilibria of games where players employ abstract (non binary) choice rules. Such results are shown to encompass as a relevant instance that of games where players have (non-transitive) SSB (Skew-Symmetric Bilinear) preferences, as will as other well-known transitive (e. g. Nash´s) and non-transitive (e. g. Shafer and Sonnenschein´s) models in the literature. Further, our general model contains games where players display procedural rationality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Vienna, Department of Economics in its series Vienna Economics Papers with number 0209.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.univie.ac.at/vwl
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sethi, Rajiv, 2000.
"Stability of Equilibria in Games with Procedurally Rational Players,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 85-104, July.
- Rajiv Sethi, 1998. "Stability of Equilibria in Games with Procedurally Rational Players," Game Theory and Information 9811003, EconWPA, revised 04 Mar 1999.
- Gale, D. & Mas-Colell, A., 1975. "An equilibrium existence theorem for a general model without ordered preferences," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 9-15, March.
- Crawford, Vincent P., 1990. "Equilibrium without independence," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 127-154, February.
- Shafer, Wayne & Sonnenschein, Hugo, 1975.
"Equilibrium in abstract economies without ordered preferences,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 345-348, December.
- Wayne Shafer & Hugo Sonnenschein, 1974. "Equilibrium in Abstract Economies Without Ordered Preferences," Discussion Papers 94, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Osborne, M-J & Rubinstein, A, 1997.
"Games with Procedurally Rational Players,"
4-97, Tel Aviv.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2003:i:7:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alcantud, J. C. R., 2002. "Non-binary choice in a non-deterministic model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 117-123, September.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1978. "Rationality as Process and as Product of Thought," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 1-16, May.
- Fishburn, P. C., 1984. "Dominance in SSB utility theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 130-148, October.
- Martin J Osborne & Ariel Rubinstein, 2009.
"A Course in Game Theory,"
814577000000000225, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Shafer, Wayne J, 1974. "The Nontransitive Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(5), pages 913-19, September.
- Cubitt, Robin P & Sugden, Robert, 1998. "The Selection of Preferences through Imitation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(4), pages 761-71, October.
- Nehring, Klaus, 1996. "Maximal elements of non-binary choice functions on compact sets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 337-340, March.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C., 1975. "Maximal elements of acyclic relations on compact sets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 403-404, June.
- Dekel, Eddie & Safra, Zvi & Segal, Uzi, 1991. "Existence and dynamic consistency of Nash equilibrium with non-expected utility preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 229-246, December.
- Fishburn, Peter C. & Rosenthal, Robert W., 1986. "Noncooperative games and nontransitive preferences," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-7, August.
- J C R Alcantud, 2004.
"Maximality with or without binariness: transfer-type characterizations,"
- Alcantud, Jose C.R., 2006. "Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 182-191, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paper Administrator).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.