Characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic relations
AbstractWe obtain a sufficient condition for the existence of maximal elements of irreflexive binary relations that generalizes the theorem of Bergstrom and Walker by relaxing the compactness condition to a weaker one that is naturally related to the relation. We then prove that the sufficient conditions used both in the Bergstrom-Walker Theorem and in our generalization provide a characterization of the existence of maximal elements of acyclic binary relations. Other sufficient conditions for the existence of maximal elements obtained by Mehta, by Peris and Subiza and by Campbell and Walker are shown to be necessary too.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Note: Received: May 28, 1997; revised version: October 5, 2000
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- J C R Alcantud, 2004.
"Maximality with or without binariness: transfer-type characterizations,"
- Alcantud, Jose C.R., 2006. "Maximality with or without binariness: Transfer-type characterizations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 182-191, March.
- Athanasios Andrikopoulos, 2011. "Characterization of the existence of semicontinuous weak utilities for binary relations," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(1), pages 13-26, January.
- Andrikopoulos, Athanasios & Zacharias, Eleftherios, 2008. "General solutions for choice sets: The Generalized Optimal-Choice Axiom set," MPRA Paper 11645, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- John Duggan, 2011. "General Conditions for Existence of Maximal Elements via the Uncovered Set," RCER Working Papers 563, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hannu Salonen & Hannu Vartiainen, 2005.
"On the Existence of Undominated Elements of Acyclic Relations,"
Game Theory and Information
- Salonen, Hannu & Vartiainen, Hannu, 2010. "On the existence of undominated elements of acyclic relations," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 217-221, November.
- Alcantud, José Carlos R. & Bosi, Gianni & Zuanon, Magalì, 2009. "A selection of maximal elements under non-transitive indifferences," MPRA Paper 16601, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.