The supplier selection problem with quantity discounts and truckload shipping
AbstractTo minimize procurement expenditures both purchasing and transportation costs need to be considered. We study a procurement setting in which a company needs to purchase a number of products from a set of suppliers to satisfy customer demand. The suppliers offer total quantity discounts and transportation costs are based on truckload shipping rates. The goal is to select a set of suppliers so as to satisfy product demand at minimal total costs. The resulting optimization problem is strongly NP-hard. We develop integer programming based heuristics to solve the problem. Extensive computational experiments demonstrate the efficacy of the proposed heuristics and provide insight into the impact of instance characteristics on effective procurement strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yu, Yugang & Hong, Zhaofu & Zhang, Linda L. & Liang, Liang & Chu, Chengbin, 2013. "Optimal selection of retailers for a manufacturing vendor in a vendor managed inventory system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 225(2), pages 273-284.
- Bianchessi, N. & Mansini, R. & Speranza, M.G., 2014. "The distance constrained multiple vehicle traveling purchaser problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 235(1), pages 73-87.
- Sawik, Tadeusz, 2014. "Joint supplier selection and scheduling of customer orders under disruption risks: Single vs. dual sourcing," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 83-95.
- Jain, Vipul & Panchal, Gajanan B. & Kumar, Sameer, 2014. "Universal supplier selection via multi-dimensional auction mechanisms for two-way competition in oligopoly market of supply chain," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 127-137.
- Wan, Shu-Ping & Li, Deng-Feng, 2013. "Fuzzy LINMAP approach to heterogeneous MADM considering comparisons of alternatives with hesitation degrees," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 925-940.
- Manerba, Daniele & Mansini, Renata, 2012. "An exact algorithm for the Capacitated Total Quantity Discount Problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(2), pages 287-300.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.