Do reference values matter? Some notes and extensions on "income and happiness across Europe"
AbstractWe add to the analysis conducted in an article in this journal authored by Caporale, Georgellis, Tsitsianis, and Yin (2009) (hereafter CGTY) which assessed the relationship between subjective well-being, income and relative income in Europe. Specifically, we note some data management, model/variable specification, and econometric issues that can affect the validity of the findings of CGTY. We then present our own augmented model to test the robustness of the results from the CGTY study. When we try to replicate CGTY's estimation, we find that the main variable of interest, i.e. the reference income variable, reverts sign. We also find several differences in our results, the most important of which is that, in contrast to CGTY's result that suggests a statistically significant negative reference income effect on life satisfaction, reference income does not really significantly affect life satisfaction in our estimations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Psychology.
Volume (Year): 31 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/joep
Comparison income Reference groups Happiness Life satisfaction;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008.
"Relative Income, Happiness, and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 95-144, March.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A., 2007. "Relative Income, Happiness and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," IZA Discussion Papers 2840, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guglielmo Maria Caporale & Yannis Georgellis & Nicholas Tsitsianis & Ya Ping Yin, 2007.
"Income and Happiness across Europe: Do Reference Values Matter?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2146, CESifo Group Munich.
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Georgellis, Yannis & Tsitsianis, Nicholas & Yin, Ya Ping, 2009. "Income and happiness across Europe: Do reference values matter?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 42-51, February.
- McBride, Michael, 2001. "Relative-income effects on subjective well-being in the cross-section," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 251-278, July.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Nolan, Michael A. & Steinhardt, Max & Ulph, David, 2013.
"Testing the Tunnel Effect: Comparison, Age and Happiness in UK and German Panels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7452, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Felix, FitzRoy & Michael, Nolan & Max, Steinhardt & David, Ulph, 2013. "Testing the Tunnel Effect: Comparison, Age and Happiness in UK and German Panels," SIRE Discussion Papers 2013-29, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Felix FitzRoy & Michael Nolan & Max Steinhardt & David Ulph, 2013. "Testing the Tunnel Effect: Comparison, Age and Happiness in UK and German Panels," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201304, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- FitzRoy, Felix & Steinhardt, Max Friedrich & Nolan, Michael, 2011. "Age, life-satisfaction, and relative income," HWWI Research Papers 110, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Felix R., FitzRoy & Michael, Nolan & Max F., Steinhardt, 2013.
"Age, Life-satisfaction, and Relative Income – Insights from the UK and Germany,"
SIRE Discussion Papers
2013-51, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- FitzRoy, Felix & Nolan, Michael A. & Steinhardt, Max, 2011. "Age, Life-Satisfaction, and Relative Income: Insights from the UK and Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 6045, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Felix F. FitzRoy & Michael A. Nolan & Max F. Steinhardt, 2011. "Age, Life-satisfaction, and Relative Income-Insights from the UK and Germany," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 201105, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Felix R. FitzRoy & Michael A. Nolan & Max F. Steinhardt & David Ulph, 2011. "So Far so Good: Age, Happiness, and Relative Income," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 415, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.