From moments of sum to moments of product
AbstractWe provide an identity that relates the moment of a product of random variables to the moments of different linear combinations of the random variables. Applying this identity, we obtain new formulae for the expectation of the product of normally distributed random variables and the product of quadratic forms in normally distributed random variables. In addition, we generalize the formulae to the case of multivariate elliptically distributed random variables. Unlike existing formulae in the literature, our new formulae are extremely efficient for computational purposes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 99 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schott, James R., 2003. "Kronecker product permutation matrices and their application to moment matrices of the normal distribution," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 177-190, October.
- Magnus, J.R., 1978. "The moments of products of quadratic forms in normal variables," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153205, Tilburg University.
- Blacher, René, 2003. "Multivariate quadratic forms of random vectors," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 2-23, October.
- Magnus, J.R., 1979. "The expectation of products of quadratic forms in normal variables: The practice Statistica Neerlandica," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153208, Tilburg University.
- Berkane, Maia & Bentler, P. M., 1986. "Moments of elliptically distributed random variates," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(6), pages 333-335, October.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153219, Tilburg University.
- Vignat, C., 2012. "A generalized Isserlis theorem for location mixtures of Gaussian random vectors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 67-71.
- Hillier, Grant & Kan, Raymond & Wang, Xiaoulu, 2009.
"Generating functions and short recursions, with applications to the moments of quadratic forms in noncentral normal vectors,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
0918, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Grant Hillier & Raymond Kan & Xiaolu Wang, 2008. "Generating functions and short recursions, with applications to the moments of quadratic forms in noncentral normal vectors," CeMMAP working papers CWP14/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Kan, Raymond & Wang, Xiaolu, 2010. "On the distribution of the sample autocorrelation coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 101-121, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.