Multivariate dynamic information
AbstractThis paper develops measures of information for multivariate distributions when their supports are truncated progressively. The focus is on the joint, marginal, and conditional entropies, and the mutual information for residual life distributions where the support is truncated at the current ages of the components of a system. The current ages of the components induce a joint dynamic into the residual life information measures. Our study of dynamic information measures includes several important bivariate and multivariate lifetime models. We derive entropy expressions for a few models, including Marshall-Olkin bivariate exponential. However, in general, study of the dynamics of residual information measures requires computational techniques or analytical results. A bivariate gamma example illustrates study of dynamic information via numerical integration. The analytical results facilitate studying other distributions. The results are on monotonicity of the residual entropy of a system and on transformations that preserve the monotonicity and the order of entropies between two systems. The results also include a new entropy characterization of the joint distribution of independent exponential random variables.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 98 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovagnoli, Alessandra & Wynn, H. P., 1995. "Multivariate dispersion orderings," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 325-332, March.
- Ebrahimi, Nader & Kirmani, S. N. U. A., 1996. "Some results on ordering of survival functions through uncertainty," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 167-176, August.
- Johnson, N. L. & Kotz, Samuel, 1975. "A vector multivariate hazard rate," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 53-66, March.
- Zografos, K., 1999. "On Maximum Entropy Characterization of Pearson's Type II and VII Multivariate Distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 67-75, October.
- Navarro, J. & Sunoj, S.M. & Linu, M.N., 2011. "Characterizations of bivariate models using dynamic Kullback-Leibler discrimination measures," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(11), pages 1594-1598, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.