Normal Linear Regression Models With Recursive Graphical Markov Structure
AbstractA multivariate normal statistical model defined by the Markov properties determined by an acyclic digraph admits a recursive factorization of its likelihood function (LF) into the product of conditional LFs, each factor having the form of a classical multivariate linear regression model ([reverse not equivalent]WMANOVA model). Here these models are extended in a natural way to normal linear regression models whose LFs continue to admit such recursive factorizations, from which maximum likelihood estimators and likelihood ratio (LR) test statistics can be derived by classical linear methods. The central distribution of the LR test statistic for testing one such multivariate normal linear regression model against another is derived, and the relation of these regression models to block-recursive normal linear systems is established. It is shown how a collection of nonnested dependent normal linear regression models ([reverse not equivalent]Wseemingly unrelated regressions) can be combined into a single multivariate normal linear regression model by imposing a parsimonious set of graphical Markov ([reverse not equivalent]Wconditional independence) restrictions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 66 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersson, S. A. & Perlman, M. D., 1995. "Testing Lattice Conditional Independence Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 18-38, April.
- Andersson, S. A. & Perlman, M. D., 1995. "Unbiasedness of the Likelihood Ratio Test for Lattice Conditional Independence Models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-17, April.
- Ross D. Shachter & C. Robert Kenley, 1989. "Gaussian Influence Diagrams," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(5), pages 527-550, May.
- Drton, Mathias & Andersson, Steen A. & Perlman, Michael D., 2006. "Conditional independence models for seemingly unrelated regressions with incomplete data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 385-411, February.
- Katarzyna Filipiak & Dietrich Rosen, 2012. "On MLEs in an extended multivariate linear growth curve model," Metrika, Springer, vol. 75(8), pages 1069-1092, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.