Scale and scope in drug development: unpacking the advantages of size in pharmaceutical research
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Health Economics.
Volume (Year): 20 (2001)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505560
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alvin J. Silk & Ernst R. Berndt, 1993. "Scale and Scope Effects on Advertising Agency Costs," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(1), pages 53-72.
- Panzar, John C & Willig, Robert D, 1981. "Economies of Scope," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(2), pages 268-72, May.
- John Bound & Clint Cummins & Zvi Griliches & Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe, 1984.
"Who Does R&D and Who Patents?,"
in: R & D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 21-54
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cohen, Wesley M. & Levin, Richard C., 1989. "Empirical studies of innovation and market structure," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 18, pages 1059-1107 Elsevier.
- Acs, Zoltan J & Audretsch, David B, 1988. "Innovation in Large and Small Firms: An Empirical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 678-90, September.
- Panzar, John C., 1989. "Technological determinants of firm and industry structure," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-59 Elsevier.
- Henderson, Rebecca. & Cockburn, Iain., 1994. "Measuring competence? : exploring firm effects in pharmaceutical research," Working papers 3712-94., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Vernon, John M & Gusen, Peter, 1974. "Technical Change and Firm Size: The Pharmaceutical Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 56(3), pages 294-302, August.
- Kenneth Arrow, 1962. "Economic Welfare and the Allocation of Resources for Invention," NBER Chapters, in: The Rate and Direction of Inventive Activity: Economic and Social Factors, pages 609-626 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Elizabeth J, 1987. "Research Expenditures and the Discovery of New Drugs," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 83-95, September.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Glass, J. C. & McKillop, D. G., 1992. "An empirical analysis of scale and scope economies and technical change in an Irish multiproduct banking firm," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 423-437, April.
- Darren Filson & Neal Masia, 2007. "Effects of profit-reducing policies on firm survival, financial performance, and new drug introductions in the research-based pharmaceutical industry," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 329-351.
- Sorisio, Enrico & Strøm, Steinar, 2006.
"Innovation and market dynamics in the EPO market,"
12/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Quintana-Garcia, Cristina & Benavides-Velasco, Carlos A., 2008. "Innovative competence, exploration and exploitation: The influence of technological diversification," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 492-507, April.
- Bastian Rake, 2013.
"Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited,"
DRUID Working Papers
13-03, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bastian Rake, 2012. "Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-018, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Comanor, William S. & Scherer, F.M., 2013. "Mergers and innovation in the pharmaceutical industry," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 106-113.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Eric L. Keuffel, 2013. "Regulation of the Pharmaceutical-Biotechnology Industry," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned? National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Sean Nicholson & Nuno Sousa Pereira, 2003.
"Productivity in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology R&D: The Role of Experience and Alliances,"
NBER Working Papers
9615, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danzon, Patricia M. & Nicholson, Sean & Pereira, Nuno Sousa, 2005. "Productivity in pharmaceutical-biotechnology R&D: the role of experience and alliances," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 317-339, March.
- Ajay K. Agrawal & Iain M. Cockburn & Alberto Galasso & Alexander Oettl, 2012. "Why are Some Regions More Innovative than Others? The Role of Firm Size Diversity," NBER Working Papers 17793, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Linn, 2004.
"Market Size in Innovation: Theory and Evidence from the Pharmaceutical Industry,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(3), pages 1049-1090, August.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Linn, 2004. "Market Size in Innovation: Theory and Evidence from the Pharmaceutical Industry," Levine's Working Paper Archive 228400000000000002, David K. Levine.
- Daron Acemoglu & Joshua Linn, 2003. "Market Size in Innovation: Theory and Evidence From the Pharmaceutical Industry," NBER Working Papers 10038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ciftci, Mustafa & Cready, William M., 2011. "Scale effects of R&D as reflected in earnings and returns," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 62-80, June.
- Antonio Revilla & Zulima Fernández, 2013. "Environmental Dynamism, Firm Size and the Economic Productivity of R&D," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(6), pages 503-522, August.
- Banri ITO & Tatsufumi YAMAGATA, 2007.
"Who Develops Innovations In Medicine For The Poor? Trends In Patent Applications Related To Medicines For Hiv/Aids, Tuberculosis, Malaria, And Neglected Diseases,"
The Developing Economies,
Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 45(2), pages 141-171.
- Ito, Banri & Yamagata, Tatsufumi, 2005. "Who Develops Innovations in Medicine for the Poor? Trends in Patent Applications Related to Medicines for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Malaria and Neglected Diseases," IDE Discussion Papers 24, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Burak Dindaroglu, 2012. "Firm Size, Technological Diversity, and the Rate and Quality of Patented Innovations," Working Papers 1207, Izmir University of Economics.
- Christopher Paul Adams & Van Vu Brantner, 2010. "Spending on new drug development," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(2), pages 130-141.
- Claude DUPUY (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Matthieu MONTALBAN (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113) & Sylvain MOURA (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2009. "Finance and Industrial Dynamics (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-24, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- M. Sirgy & Dong-Jin Lee & Grace Yu, 2011. "Consumer Sovereignty in Healthcare: Fact or Fiction?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 101(3), pages 459-474, July.
- Santiago, Fernando & Alcorta, Ludovico, 2012. "Human resource management for learning through knowledge exploitation and knowledge exploration: Pharmaceuticals in Mexico," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 530-546.
- Maria Giorgetti, 2006. "Scope economies in the pharmaceutical sector," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 373-401, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.