Uniform tail asymptotics for the stochastic present value of aggregate claims in the renewal risk model
AbstractConsider an insurer who is allowed to make risk-free and risky investments. The price process of the investment portfolio is described as a geometric Lévy process. We study the tail probability of the stochastic present value of future aggregate claims. When the claim-size distribution is of Pareto type, we obtain a simple asymptotic formula which holds uniformly for all time horizons. The same asymptotic formula holds for the finite-time and infinite-time ruin probabilities. Restricting our attention to the so-called constant investment strategy, we show how the insurer adjusts his investment portfolio to maximize the expected terminal wealth subject to a constraint on the ruin probability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 46 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Asymptotics Constant investment strategy Levy process Portfolio optimization Regular variation Ruin probability Uniformity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yuen, Kam C. & Wang, Guojing & Wu, Rong, 2006. "On the renewal risk process with stochastic interest," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 116(10), pages 1496-1510, October.
- Jostein Paulsen, 2008. "Ruin models with investment income," Papers 0806.4125, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2008.
- Cai, Jun, 2004. "Ruin probabilities and penalty functions with stochastic rates of interest," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 53-78, July.
- Zhang, Yi & Shen, Xinmei & Weng, Chengguo, 2009. "Approximation of the tail probability of randomly weighted sums and applications," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 655-675, February.
- Klüppelberg, Claudia & Kostadinova, Radostina, 2008. "Integrated insurance risk models with exponential Lévy investment," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 560-577, April.
- Yuen, Kam C. & Wang, Guojing & Ng, Kai W., 2004. "Ruin probabilities for a risk process with stochastic return on investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 110(2), pages 259-274, April.
- Wang, Guojing & Wu, Rong, 2001. "Distributions for the risk process with a stochastic return on investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 329-341, October.
- Willekens, Eric, 1987. "On the supremum of an infinitely divisible process," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 26, pages 173-175.
- Tang, Qihe & Tsitsiashvili, Gurami, 2003. "Precise estimates for the ruin probability in finite horizon in a discrete-time model with heavy-tailed insurance and financial risks," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 299-325, December.
- Kostadinova, Radostina, 2007. "Optimal investment for insurers when the stock price follows an exponential Lévy process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 250-263, September.
- Paulsen, Jostein, 1993. "Risk theory in a stochastic economic environment," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 327-361, June.
- Anna Frolova & Serguei Pergamenshchikov & Yuri Kabanov, 2002. "In the insurance business risky investments are dangerous," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 227-235.
- Maulik, Krishanu & Zwart, Bert, 2006. "Tail asymptotics for exponential functionals of Lévy processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 156-177, February.
- Goovaerts, Marc & Kaas, R. & Laeven, R. & Tang, Q. & Vernic, R., 2005. "The tail probability of discounted sums of Pareto-like losses in insurance," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/200978, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Kalashnikov, Vladimir & Norberg, Ragnar, 2002. "Power tailed ruin probabilities in the presence of risky investments," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 211-228, April.
- Zhang, Yuanyuan & Wang, Wensheng, 2012. "Ruin probabilities of a bidimensional risk model with investment," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 130-138.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.