A capital allocation based on a solvency exchange option
AbstractIn this paper we propose a new capital allocation method based on an idea of [Sherris, M., 2006. Solvency, capital allocation and fair rate of return in insurance. J. Risk Insurance 73 (1), 71-96]. The proposed method explicitly accommodates the notion of limited liability of the shareholders. We show how the allocated capital can be decomposed, so that each stakeholder can have a clearer understanding of their contribution. We also challenge the no undercut principle, one of the widely accepted allocation axioms, and assert that this axiom is merely a property that certain allocation methods may or may not meet.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Capital allocation Fair allocation axioms Solvency exchange option;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert C. Merton & André Perold, 1993. "Theory Of Risk Capital In Financial Firms," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(3), pages 16-32.
- Michael Sherris, 2006. "Solvency, Capital Allocation, and Fair Rate of Return in Insurance," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 73(1), pages 71-96.
- J. David Cummins, 2000. "Allocation of Capital in the Insurance Industry," Risk Management and Insurance Review, American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 3(1), pages 7-27, 03.
- Peter Csoka & Miklos Pinter, 2011.
"On the Impossibility of Fair Risk Allocation,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1117, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Peter Csoka & P. Jean-Jacques Herings, 2013.
"Risk Allocation under Liquidity Constraints,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
1331, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Herings P.J.J. & Csóka P., 2013. "Risk allocation under liquidity constraints," Research Memorandum 057, Maastricht : GSBE, Graduate School of Business and Economics.
- Herings P.J.J. & Csóka P., 2013. "Risk allocation under liquidity constraints," Research Memorandum 057, Maastricht University, Graduate School of Business and Economics (GSBE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.