Firm heterogeneity and location choice of Taiwanese multinationals
AbstractThis paper examines the extent to which production location decisions of Taiwanese multinationals reflect underlying patterns of firm productivity. In our theoretical model, heterogeneous firms in a middle-income country decide on the optimal production locations for serving three geographically separate markets: domestic, foreign high-income and foreign low-income. The model shows that the equilibrium decision of a firm depends on the fixed investment costs of establishing foreign subsidiaries, production costs, transportation costs, market size and its own productivity level. Using firm-level data in 2000, Taiwanese electronics firms are divided into four different categories: non-FDI, investors in China only, investors in the U.S. only, investors in both China and the U.S. We use a multinomial logit model to link firms' location choices with their productivity, controlling for country, industry and other firm characteristics. Our empirical results are consistent with the predictions of the theoretical model. We show that more productive firms engage in outward FDI, with the most productive ones investing in both China and the U.S. We also provide evidence indicating that Taiwanese multinationals investing only in the U.S. are more productive than those investing exclusively in China due to smaller fixed investment costs in China relative to the U.S.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 75 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Baldwin & Gianmarco I. P. Ottaviano, 1998.
"Multiproduct Multinationals and Reciprocal FDI Dumping,"
NBER Working Papers
6483, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard E. & Ottaviano, Gianmarco I. P., 2001. "Multiproduct multinationals and reciprocal FDI dumping," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 429-448, August.
- Baldwin, Richard & Ottaviano, Gianmarco Ireo Paolo, 1998. "Multiproduct Multinationals and Reciprocal FDI Dumping," CEPR Discussion Papers 1851, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2005.
"The Role of Multinational Firms in International Trade: The Case of Japan,"
05012, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kiyota, Kozo & Urata, Shujiro, 2008. "The role of multinational firms in international trade: The case of Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 338-352, August.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2007. "The Role of Multinational Firms in International Trade: The Case of Japan," Working Papers 560, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
- Elhanan Helpman & Marc J. Melitz & Stephen R. Yeaple, 2004.
"Export Versus FDI with Heterogeneous Firms,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 94(1), pages 300-316, March.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003.
"Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
10189, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Gene M. & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2006. "Optimal integration strategies for the multinational firm," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 216-238, September.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2024, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan & Szeidl, Adam, 2004. "Optimal Integration: Strategies for the Multinational Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 4477, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman & Adam Szeidl, 2003. "Optimal Integration Strategies for the Multinational Firm," Working Papers dp225.pdf, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Sourafel Girma & Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2005. "Exports versus FDI: An Empirical Test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 141(2), pages 193-218, July.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996.
"Japanese firms and the decision to invest abroad: Business groups and regional core networks,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/101204, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Belderbos, Rene & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 1996. "Japanese Firms and the Decision to Invest Abroad: Business Groups and Regional Core Networks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 214-20, May.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James R. Markusen, 2007.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 5(4), pages 776-795, 06.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Chung, Sukkyun & Roberts, Mark J, 2000. "Productivity and Turnover in the Export Market: Micro-level Evidence from the Republic of Korea and Taiwan (China)," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 65-90, January.
- Criscuolo, Chiara & Haskel, Jonathan E. & Slaughter, Matthew J., 2010.
"Global engagement and the innovation activities of firms,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 191-202, March.
- Chiara Criscuolo & Jonathan E. Haskel & Matthew J. Slaughter, 2005. "Global Engagement and the Innovation Activities of Firms," NBER Working Papers 11479, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo, 1999. " Multinationals without Advantages," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(4), pages 617-30, December.
- Lin, Hui-Lin & Li, Hsiao-Yun & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2011. "Agglomeration and productivity: Firm-level evidence from China's textile industry," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 313-329, September.
- Gerda Dewit & Holger Görg & Yama Temouri, 2013. "Employment Protection and Relocation with Firm Heterogeneity," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n234-13.pdf, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Herzer, Dierk, 2011.
"The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries,"
Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011
41, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Dierk Herzer, 2010. "The Long-Run Relationship between Outward FDI and Total Factor Productivity: Evidence for Developing Countries," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 199, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2012.
"Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 59(3), pages 316-337, 07.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," FIW Working Paper series 055, FIW.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2009. "Firm growth, European industry dynamics and domestic business cycles," Working Papers 2009-18, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Harald Oberhofer, 2010. "Firm Growth, European Industry Dynamics and Domestic Business Cycles," WIFO Working Papers 377, WIFO.
- Belderbos, Rene & Fukao, Kyoji & Ito, Keiko & Letterie, Wilko, 2012.
"Global fixed capital investment by multinational firms,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/368331, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- René Belderbos & Kyoji Fukao & Keiko Ito & Wilko Letterie, 2013. "Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 80(318), pages 274-299, 04.
- René BELDERBOS & FUKAO Kyoji & ITO Keiko & Wilko LETTERIE, 2010. "Global Fixed Capital Investment by Multinational Firms," Discussion papers 10044, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Ajay Shah & Ila Patnaik & Dilek Demirbas, 2010.
"Graduating to Globalisation: A Study of Southern Multinationals,"
- Dilek Demirbas & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2013. "Graduating to globalisation: a study of Southern multinationals," Indian Growth and Development Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 6(2), pages 242 - 259, October.
- Demirbas, Dilek & Patnaik, Ila & Shah, Ajay, 2010. "Graduating to globalisation: A study of southern multinationals," Working Papers 10/65, National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.
- Dilek Demirbas & Ila Patnaik & Ajay Shah, 2010. "Graduating to Globalisation : A Study of Southern Multinationals," Finance Working Papers 21854, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Chao-Hsi Huang & Kai-Fang Teng & Pan-Long Tsai, 2010. "Inward and outward foreign direct investment and poverty: East Asia vs. Latin America," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 146(4), pages 763-779, December.
- TANAKA Kiyoyasu, 2013. "Firm Heterogeneity and FDI in Distribution Services," Discussion papers 13027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Lei, Han-Sheng & Chen, Yung-Shuan, 2011. "The right tree for the right bird: Location choice decision of Taiwanese firms' FDI in China and Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 338-352, June.
- HAYAKAWA Kazunobu & MATSUURA Toshiyuki, 2013. "Heterogeneous Impact of Trade Liberalization on Vertical FDI: Evidence from Japanese firm-level data," Discussion papers 13020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Shawn ARITA & TANAKA Kiyoyasu, 2012.
"Heterogeneous Multinational Firms and Productivity Gains from Falling FDI Barriers,"
12010, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Arita, Shawn & Tanaka, Kiyoyasu, 2012. "Heterogeneous multinational firms and productivity gains from falling FDI barriers," IDE Discussion Papers 324, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash & Singh, Neelam, 2010. "Group Affiliation and Location of Indian Firms’ Foreign Acquisitions," MPRA Paper 24018, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hayakawa, Kazunobu & Tanaka, Kiyoyasu, 2011. "Export platform FDI and firm heterogeneity," IDE Discussion Papers 310, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- WAKASUGI Ryuhei & Hongyong ZHANG, 2012. "Effects of Ownership on Exports and FDI: Evidence from Chinese firms," Discussion papers 12058, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Oladottir, Asta Dis & Hobdari, Bersant & Papanastassiou, Marina & Pearce, Robert & Sinani, Evis, 2012. "Strategic complexity and global expansion: An empirical study of newcomer Multinational Corporations from small economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 686-695.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.