Information and economic efficiency
AbstractIs an economy with adverse selection, moral hazard, or an incomplete set of risk markets "constrained" Pareto efficient? There are two sets of papers addressing this question, one asserting that, under seemingly quite general conditions, the economy is constrained Pareto efficient, the other (to which we have contributed) that it is not. In this paper, we delineate the differences in assumptions between the two sets of papers, and under our assumptions present an intuitive proof of the Pareto inefficiency of market equilibrium with moral hazard and identify what it is that the government can do that the market cannot.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Information Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 6 (1994)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505549
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2069, David K. Levine.
- Newbery, David M G & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1982. "The Choice of Techniques and the Optimality of Market Equilibrium with Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(2), pages 223-46, April.
- Greenwald, Bruce C & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-64, May.
- Geanakoplos, J. & Magill, M. & Quinzii, M. & Dreze, J., 1990.
"Generic inefficiency of stock market equilibrium when markets are incomplete,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 113-151.
- John Geanakoplos & Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii & J. Dreze, 1988. "Generic Inefficiency of Stock Market Equilibrium When Markets Are Incomplete," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 863, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shavell, Steven, 1979. "On Moral Hazard and Insurance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(4), pages 541-62, November.
- Arnott, Richard J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1985. "Labor Turnover, Wage Structures, and Moral Hazard: The Inefficiency of Competitive Markets," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(4), pages 434-62, October.
- Grossman, Sanford J., 1977. "A characterization of the optimality of equilibrium in incomplete markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Bel? Jerez, 2000.
"General Equilibrium with Asymmetric Information: a Dual Approach,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
510.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Belen Jerez, 2000. "General Equilibrium with Asymmetric Information: A Dual Approach," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1497, Econometric Society.
- Belén Jerez, 2003.
"Incentive Compatibility And Pricing Under Moral Hazard,"
Economics Working Papers
we035722, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Belen Jerez, 2005. "Incentive Compatibility and Pricing under Moral Hazard," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 8(1), pages 28-47, January.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Kirsten, Johann, 2001.
"The new institutional economics,"
MSSD discussion papers
41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2002.
"Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance,"
0203-04, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. & Yun, Jungyoll, 2005. "Integration of unemployment insurance with retirement insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2037-2067, December.
- Joseph Stiglitz & Jungyoll Yun, 2002. "Integration of Unemployment Insurance with Retirement Insurance," NBER Working Papers 9199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- PANACCIONE, Luca, 2006.
"Inefficiency of competitive equilibrium with hidden action and financial markets,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006096, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luca, PANACCIONE, 2006. "Inefficiency of competitive equilibrium with hidden action and financial markets," Discussion Papers (ECON - DÃ©partement des Sciences Economiques) 2006049, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 460-501, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2001. "Information and the Change in the Paradigm in Economics," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 2001-8, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Soule, M. J. & Shepherd, K. D., 2000. "An ecological and economic analysis of phosphorus replenishment for Vihiga Division, western Kenya," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 83-98, May.
- Konrad, Kai A., 1999.
"Privacy, time consistent optimal labor income taxation and education policy,"
IZA Discussion Papers
82, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Konrad, Kai A, 1999. "Privacy, Time Consistent Optimal Labour Income Taxation and Education Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 2326, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Chen, Huigang & Otrok, Christopher & Rebucci, Alessandro & Young, Eric R., 2013.
"Financial crises and macro-prudential policies,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 453-470.
- Benigno, Gianluca & Chen, Huigang & Otrok, Christopher & Rebucci, Alessandro & Young, Eric R, 2011. "Financial Crisis and Macro-Prudential Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 8175, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianluca Benigno & Huigang Chen & Christopher Otrok & Alessandro Rebucci & Eric R. Young, 2010. "Financial Crises and Macro-Prudential Policies," CEP Discussion Papers dp1032, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gianluca Benigno & Huigang Chen & Christopher Otrok & Alessandro Rebucci & Eric Young, 2011. "Financial Crises and Macro-Prudential Policies," Research Department Publications 4710, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Thomas Schuster, 2003. "News Events and Price Movements. Price Effects of Economic and Non-Economic Publications in the News Media," Finance 0305009, EconWPA.
- Bel? Jerez, 2001.
"A Dual Characterization of Incentive Efficiency,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
494.01, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Konrad, Kai A., 2001. "Privacy and time-consistent optimal labor income taxation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(3), pages 503-519, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.