The evolution of relationship marketing
AbstractRelationship Marketing is emerging as a new phenomenon. However, relationship oriented marketing practices date back to the pre-Industrial era. In this article, we trace the history of marketing practices and illustrate how the advent of mass production, the emergence of middlemen, and the separation of the producer from the consumer in the Industrial era led to a transactional focus of marketing. Now, due to technological advances, direct marketing is staging a comeback, leading to a relationship orientation. The authors contend that with the evolution of Relationship Marketing, the hitherto prominent exchange paradigm of marketing will be insufficient to explain the growing marketing phenomena of collaborative involvement of customers in the production process. An alternate paradigm of marketing needs to be developed that is more process rather than outcome oriented, and emphasizes value creation rather than value distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 4 (1995)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spekman, Robert E., 1988. "Strategic supplier selection: Understanding long-term buyer relationships," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 75-81.
- Andersson, Per & Molleryd, Bengt, 1999. "Channel Network Change and Behavioral Consequences of Relationship Connectedness," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 291-301, November.
- Naidu, G. M. & Parvatiyar, Atul & Sheth, Jagdish N. & Westgate, Lori, 1999. "Does Relationship Marketing Pay? An Empirical Investigation of Relationship Marketing Practices in Hospitals," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 207-218, November.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 2003. "Relationship marketing in an international context: a literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 193-214, April.
- Veloutsou, Cleopatra & Moutinho, Luiz, 2009. "Brand relationships through brand reputation and brand tribalism," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(3), pages 314-322, March.
- Lynch, J. & Mason, R.J. & Beresford, A.K.C. & Found, P.A., 2012. "An examination of the role for Business Orientation in an uncertain business environment," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 145-156.
- Fábio Vinicius de Macedo Bergamo & Antonio Carlos Giuliani & Silvia Helena Carvalho Ramos Valladao de Camargo & Felipe Zambaldi & Mateus Canniatti Ponchio, 2012. "Student loyalty based on relationship quality: an analysis on higher," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(2), pages 26-46, April.
- Isabelle Prim-Allaz & Jean Perrien & Bernard Pras, 2001.
"Les Apports De La Theorie Du Contrat Social A L'Explication Des Ruptures De Relations De Long Terme Entre Organisations : Une Application Aux Relations Banques/Pme,"
- Perrien, Jean & Prim-Allaz, Isabelle & Pras, Bernard, 2001. "Les apports de la théorie du contrat social à l'explication des ruptures de relations de long terme entre organisations : une application aux relations banques/PME," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3558, Paris Dauphine University.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2004.
"The relqual scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures,"
FEUNL Working Paper Series
wp447, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Lages, Carmen & Lages, Cristiana Raquel & Lages, Luis Filipe, 2005. "The RELQUAL scale: a measure of relationship quality in export market ventures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(8), pages 1040-1048, August.
- Gruen, Thomas W., 1997. "Relationship marketing: the route to marketing efficiency and effectiveness," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 32-38.
- Gidhagen, Mikael, 1998. "Insurance marketing : services and relationships," Working Papers 1998:4, Uppsala University, Department of Business Studies.
- Celuch, Kevin G. & Bantham, John H. & Kasouf, Chickery J., 2006. "An extension of the marriage metaphor in buyer-seller relationships: An exploration of individual level process dynamics," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(5), pages 573-581, May.
- Teerling, M.L. & Huizingh, Eelko K.R.E., 2006. "Exploring the concept of web site customization: applications and antecedents," Research Report 06F07, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Sichtmann, Christina & Griese, Ilka & Klein, Maren, 2007. "Determinants of the international performance of services: a conceptual model," Discussion Papers 2007/17, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Gebauer, Heiko & Gustafsson, Anders & Witell, Lars, 2011. "Competitive advantage through service differentiation by manufacturing companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1270-1280.
- Tongzon, Jose & Chang, Young-Tae & Lee, Sang-Yoon, 2009. "How supply chain oriented is the port sector?," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 122(1), pages 21-34, November.
- Paulssen, Marcel, 2004. "Satisfaction and Interpersonal Closeness as Determinants of Relationship Commitment in Business-to-Business Relationships," Papers 2004,06, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- P. Van Kenhove & K. De Wulf & D. Van Den Poelt, 2003. "Does Attitudinal Commitment to Stores Always Lead to Behavioral Loyalty? The Moderating Effect of Age," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/168, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Valta, Katharina S., 2013. "Do relational norms matter in consumer-brand relationships?," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 98-104.
- Abosag, Ibrahim & Lee, Joong-Woo, 2013. "The formation of trust and commitment in business relationships in the Middle East: Understanding Et-Moone relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 602-614.
- Miyamoto, Tadayuki & Rexha, Nexhmi, 2004. "Determinants of three facets of customer trust: A marketing model of Japanese buyer-supplier relationship," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 312-319, March.
- Dancho Danchev, 2007. "The Chinese Approach to the Relationship Marketing (GUANXI)," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 3, pages 65-93.
- Luk, Sherriff T. K. & Fullgrabe, Lorna & Li, Stephen C. Y., 1999. "Managing Direct Selling Activities in China: A Cultural Explanation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 257-266, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.