The impact of national culture and communication on exporter-distributor relations and on export performance
AbstractInterorganizational relations have been a major focus of marketing scholars in the past 2-3 decades. In this study, we explore the impact of national cultural differences, a factor that is unique to international relations, on behavior variables in exporter-foreign middleman relations. Furthermore, we argue that communication has an extended role in international channel relationships, and that it influences relationship variables in a different manner than in domestic relationships. The study supports that national cultural distance and communication have significant impact on trust and commitment, that communication may influence variables differently than in domestic relations, and that the degree of commitment toward the foreign distributor or agent is directly related to the financial performance in that market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 16 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Kogut & Harbir Singh, 1988. "The Effect of National Culture on the Choice of Entry Mode," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(3), pages 411-432, September.
- Solberg, Carl Arthur & Nes, Erik B., 2002. "Exporter trust, commitment and marketing control in integrated and independent export channels," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 385-405, August.
- Oded Shenkar, 2001. "Cultural Distance Revisited: Towards a More Rigorous Conceptualization and Measurement of Cultural Differences," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(3), pages 519-535, September.
- Griffith, David A., 2002. "The role of communication competencies in international business relationship development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 256-265, January.
- Ivan M Manev & William B Stevenson, 2001. "Nationality, Cultural Distance, and Expatriate Status: Effects on the Managerial Network in a Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 285-303, June.
- Drogendijk, Rian & Slangen, Arjen, 2006. "Hofstede, Schwartz, or managerial perceptions? The effects of different cultural distance measures on establishment mode choices by multinational enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 361-380, August.
- C Zhang & S T Cavusgil & A S Roath, 2003. "Manufacturer governance of foreign distributor relationships: do relational norms enhance competitiveness in the export market?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(6), pages 550-566, November.
- Gabriel R G Benito & Geir Gripsrud, 1992. "The Expansion of Foreign Direct Investments: Discrete Rational Location Choices or a Cultural Learning Process?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(3), pages 461-476, September.
- Erin Anderson & Barton Weitz, 1989. "Determinants of Continuity in Conventional Industrial Channel Dyads," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(4), pages 310-323.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 2003. "Relationship marketing in an international context: a literature review," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 193-214, April.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Marschan, Rebecca & Welch, Denice & Welch, Lawrence, 1997. "Language: The forgotten factor in multinational management," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 591-598, October.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Palihawadana, Dayananda & Chari, Simos & Leonidou, Constantinos N., 2011. "Drivers and outcomes of importer adaptation in international buyer-seller relationships," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 527-543, October.
- Abosag, Ibrahim & Lee, Joong-Woo, 2013. "The formation of trust and commitment in business relationships in the Middle East: Understanding Et-Moone relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 602-614.
- Jonsson, Sara & Lindbergh, Jessica, 2010. "The impact of institutional impediments and information and knowledge exchange on SMEs' investments in international business relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 548-561, December.
- Nuno Rosa Reis & Manuel Portugal Ferreira & João Carvalho Santos, 2013. "A bibliometric study of the cultural models in International Business research," Working Papers 104, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Williams, Christopher & van Triest, Sander, 2009. "The impact of corporate and national cultures on decentralization in multinational corporations," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 156-167, April.
- Leonidou, Constantinos N. & Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Coudounaris, Dafnis N. & Hultman, Magnus, 2013. "Value differences as determinants of importers’ perceptions of exporters’ unethical behavior: The impact on relationship quality and performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 156-173.
- Gabrielsson, Mika & Gabrielsson, Peter, 2011. "Internet-based sales channel strategies of born global firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Costa e Silva, Susana & Bradley, Frank & Sousa, Carlos M.P., 2012. "Empirical test of the trust–performance link in an international alliances context," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 293-306.
- Mäkelä, Kristiina & Björkman, Ingmar & Ehrnrooth, Mats, 2010. "How do MNCs establish their talent pools? Influences on individuals' likelihood of being labeled as talent," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 134-142, April.
- White, George O. & Hadjimarcou, John & Fainshmidt, Stav & Posthuma, Richard A., 2013. "MNE home country cultural norms and conflict strategy fit in transnational business contract disputes," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 554-567.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.