Consequences of sales management control in field sales organizations: a cross-national perspective
AbstractIn this study we explore the effects of behavior-based sales management control on salesperson characteristics, salesperson performance and sales organization effectiveness with data collected from field sales managers in Australia and Austria. Considering this cross-national perspective, knowledge should be added to the limited international sales management literature. The study findings provide strong support for positive relationships between behavior-based control and salesperson characteristics, salesperson outcome performance, and sales organization effectiveness. The results offer encouraging support of the cross-national relevance of the sales management behavior-based control model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Behrman, Douglas N. & Perreault, William Jr., 1982. "Measuring the performance of industrial salespersons," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 355-370, September.
- Lee Cronbach, 1951. "Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 297-334, September.
- R Bruce Money & John L Graham, 1999. "Salesperson Performance, Pay, and Job Satisfaction: Tests of a Model Using Data Collected in the United States and Japan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(1), pages 149-172, March.
- Kathleen M. Eisenhardt, 1985. "Control: Organizational and Economic Approaches," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(2), pages 134-149, February.
- Dewettinck, K. & Buyens, D., 2006.
"Linking behavioral control to frontline employee commitment and performance: a test of two alternative explanations using motivation theories,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2006-13, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- K. Dewettinck & D. Buyens, 2006. "Linking behavioral control to frontline employee commitment and performance: a test of two alternative explanations using motivation theories," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/382, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Theodosiou, Marios & Katsikea, Evangelia, 2007. "How management control and job-related characteristics influence the performance of export sales managers," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(12), pages 1261-1271, December.
- Ola Kvaløy & Anja Schöttner, 2014.
"Incentives to Motivate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4656, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kustin, Richard Alan, 2004. "Marketing mix standardization: a cross cultural study of four countries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 637-649, October.
- Rajagopal, 2006. "Analysis of Effective Control Practices in Sales Management: A Comparative Study in Developing Countries," Marketing Working Papers 2006-04-MKT, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Mallin, Michael L. & Asree, Susita & Koh, Anthony C. & Hu, Michael Y., 2010. "Antecedents to managerial trust and sales control in Malaysian salesforce," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 292-305, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.