The effectiveness of the VaR-based portfolio insurance strategy: An empirical analysis
AbstractThis paper proposes an approach to constructing the insured portfolios under the VaR-based portfolio insurance strategy (VBPI) and provides a comprehensive analysis of its hedging effectiveness in comparison with the buy-and-hold (B&H) as well as the constant proportion portfolio insurance (CPPI) strategies in the context of the Chinese market. The results show that both of the insurance strategies are able to limit the downward returns while retaining certain upside returns, and their capabilities of reshaping the return distributions increase as the guarantee or the confidence level rises. In general, the VBPI strategy tends to outperform the CPPI strategy in terms of both the degree of downside protection and the return performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Financial Analysis.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620166
Value-at-risk Portfolio insurance CPPI;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio De Santis & Selahattin Imrohoroglu, 1994.
"Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
93, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- De Santis, Giorgio & imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1997. "Stock returns and volatility in emerging financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 561-579, August.
- Simon Loria & Toan Pham & Ah Boon Sim, 1991. "The Performance of a Stock Index Futures Based Portfolio Insurance Scheme: Australian Evidence," Working Paper Series 5, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Balder, Sven & Brandl, Michael & Mahayni, Antje, 2009. "Effectiveness of CPPI strategies under discrete-time trading," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 204-220, January.
- Binh Huu Do, 2002. "Relative performance of dynamic portfolio insurance strategies: Australian evidence," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 42(3), pages 279-296.
- Koichi Matsumoto, 2007. "Portfolio Insurance with Liquidity Risk," Asia-Pacific Financial Markets, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 363-386, December.
- Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Li, Huimin, 2008. "Sudden changes in volatility in emerging markets: The case of Gulf Arab stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 47-63.
- Bertrand, Philippe & Prigent, Jean-luc, 2011. "Omega performance measure and portfolio insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1811-1823, July.
- Ian Domowitz & Jack Glen & Ananth Madhavan, 1998. "International Cross-Listing and Order Flow Migration: Evidence from an Emerging Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 2001-2027, December.
- Annaert, Jan & Osselaer, Sofieke Van & Verstraete, Bert, 2009. "Performance evaluation of portfolio insurance strategies using stochastic dominance criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 272-280, February.
- Cornelis A. Los & Bing Yu, 2005.
"Persistence Characteristics of the Chinese Stock Markets,"
- Los, Cornelis A. & Yu, Bing, 2008. "Persistence characteristics of the Chinese stock markets," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 64-82.
- Pressacco, Flavio & Stucchi, Patrizia, 1990. "Synthetic portfolio insurance on the Italian stock index: From theory to practice," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2-3), pages 81-94, September.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Cremonini, David, 2003. "Benchmarking, portfolio insurance and technical analysis: a Monte Carlo comparison of dynamic strategies of asset allocation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 987-1011, April.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Black, Fischer & Perold, AndreF., 1992. "Theory of constant proportion portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 403-426.
- Huai-I. Lee & Min-Hsien Chiang & Hsinan Hsu, 2008. "A new choice of dynamic asset management: the variable proportion portfolio insurance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(16), pages 2135-2146.
- Hedmilton Mourão Cardoso & Claudio Henrique da Silveira Barbedo & José Valentim Machado Vicente, 2012. "Dynamic strategies to optimize asset allocation: empirical evidence in the Brazilian market," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 9(2), pages 109-133, April.
- Dichtl, Hubert & Drobetz, Wolfgang, 2011. "Portfolio insurance and prospect theory investors: Popularity and optimal design of capital protected financial products," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1683-1697, July.
- Zieling, Daniel & Mahayni, Antje & Balder, Sven, 2014. "Performance evaluation of optimized portfolio insurance strategies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 212-225.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.