Measurement of simultaneous scale and mix changes in inputs and outputs using DEA facets and RTS
AbstractWe show a new use of the efficient facets in DEA. Specifically, once we have identified all facets of the DEA technology, we are able to estimate the potential changes in some inputs and outputs, while fixing other inputs and outputs, ranges of simultaneous scale and mix changes in inputs and outputs, while proportionally increasing or decreasing other inputs and outputs, and, finally, the RTS. The proposed algorithms are applied to corporate planning processes of chemical companies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Data envelopment analysis; Changes in inputs and outputs; Returns to scale; Facets;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gonzalez, Eduardo & Alvarez, Antonio, 2001. "From efficiency measurement to efficiency improvement: The choice of a relevant benchmark," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(3), pages 512-520, September.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Thrall, R. M., 1992. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 74-84, October.
- Wei, Quanling & Zhang, Jianzhong & Zhang, Xiangsun, 2000. "An inverse DEA model for inputs/outputs estimate," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 151-163, February.
- Maria Silva Portela & Pedro Borges & Emmanuel Thanassoulis, 2003. "Finding Closest Targets in Non-Oriented DEA Models: The Case of Convex and Non-Convex Technologies," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 251-269, April.
- Briec, W. & Lemaire, B., 1999. "Technical efficiency and distance to a reverse convex set," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 178-187, April.
- Jahanshahloo, G.R. & Hosseinzadeh Lotfi, F. & Zhiani Rezai, H. & Rezai Balf, F., 2007. "Finding strong defining hyperplanes of Production Possibility Set," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(1), pages 42-54, February.
- Ole Olesen & N. Petersen, 2003. "Identification and Use of Efficient Faces and Facets in DEA," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 323-360, November.
- O. B. Olesen & N. C. Petersen, 1996. "Indicators of Ill-Conditioned Data Sets and Model Misspecification in Data Envelopment Analysis: An Extended Facet Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 205-219, February.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Takeda, Akiko & Nishino, Hisakazu, 2001. "On measuring the inefficiency with the inner-product norm in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 377-393, January.
- Banker, R. D. & Bardhan, I. & Cooper, W. W., 1996. "A note on returns to scale in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 583-585, February.
- Banker, Rajiv D. & Cooper, William W. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Returns to scale in different DEA models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 345-362, April.
- tone, Kaoru, 2010. "Variations on the theme of slacks-based measure of efficiency in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(3), pages 901-907, February.
- Podinovski, Victor V. & Førsund, Finn R. & Krivonozhko, Vladimir E., 2009. "A simple derivation of scale elasticity in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(1), pages 149-153, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.