Sales effort free riding and coordination with price match and channel rebate
AbstractThis paper studies sales effort coordination for a supply chain with one manufacturer and two retail channels, where an online retailer offers a lower price and free-rides a brick-and-mortar retailer’s sales effort. The free riding effect reduces brick-and-mortar retailer’s desired effort level, and thus hurts the manufacturer’s profit and the overall supply chain performance. To achieve sales effort coordination, we designed a contract with price match and selective compensation rebate. We also examined other contracts, including the target rebate contract and the wholesale price discount contract, both with price match. The numerical analysis shows that the selective rebate outperforms other contracts in coordinating the brick-and-mortar retailer’s sales effort and improving supply chain efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Journal of Operational Research.
Volume (Year): 219 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor
Supply chain management; Sales effort free riding; Price match; Selective rebate;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jiwoong Shin, 2007. "How Does Free Riding on Customer Service Affect Competition?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 26(4), pages 488-503, 07-08.
- Martin A. Lariviere & V. Padmanabhan, 1997. "Slotting Allowances and New Product Introductions," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 16(2), pages 112-128.
- Dazhong Wu & Gautam Ray & Xianjun Geng & Andrew Whinston, 2004. "Implications of Reduced Search Cost and Free Riding in E-Commerce," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 23(2), pages 255-262, November.
- Terry A. Taylor, 2002. "Supply Chain Coordination Under Channel Rebates with Sales Effort Effects," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 48(8), pages 992-1007, August.
- Harish Krishnan & Roman Kapuscinski & David A. Butz, 2004. "Coordinating Contracts for Decentralized Supply Chains with Retailer Promotional Effort," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 48-63, January.
- Sigué, Simon Pierre & Chintagunta, Pradeep, 2009. "Advertising strategies in a franchise system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 198(2), pages 655-665, October.
- Vipul Agrawal & Sridhar Seshadri, 2000. "Impact of Uncertainty and Risk Aversion on Price and Order Quantity in the Newsvendor Problem," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 410-423, July.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Judith A. Chevalier, 2001.
"Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet,"
NBER Working Papers
8067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carlton, Dennis W & Chevalier, Judith A, 2001. "Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(4), pages 441-61, December.
- Dennis W. Carlton & Judith A. Chevalier, 2001. "Free Riding and Sales Strategies for the Internet," NBER Chapters, in: E-commerce, pages 441-461 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wujin Chu & Preyas S. Desai, 1995. "Channel Coordination Mechanisms for Customer Satisfaction," Marketing Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 14(4), pages 343-359.
- GÃ©rard P. Cachon & A. GÃ¼rhan KÃ¶k, 2007. "Implementation of the Newsvendor Model with Clearance Pricing: How to (and How Not to) Estimate a Salvage Value," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 9(3), pages 276-290, October.
- Ma, Peng & Wang, Haiyan & Shang, Jennifer, 2013. "Contract design for two-stage supply chain coordination: Integrating manufacturer-quality and retailer-marketing efforts," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 146(2), pages 745-755.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.